Home networking advice

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by carl201167, Nov 16, 2006.

1. carl201167 macrumors regular

I have a powerbook, my girlfriend has a macbook. Lovely, but this gives some problems:

1. We would like one central place to store/serve big music and photo libraries that we can both use/update
    2. We need to be able to back up our laptops and not get files out of sync

I know I need to buy something. Any suggestions for the best approach?

My thoughts so far are:
    a) buy an iMac to act as the master computer and put the music/photo libraries on there
    b) buy one of the new ethernet lacie drives and connect it to the netgear router

Advice much appreciated - thanks

2. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

If you get an ethernet hard dive setup then you can access files on both systems over the network pretty easily. This is far cheaper than an iMac too. Just make sure the one you choose is compatible with your Macs.

Here is one I found while doing a simple search: http://www.provantage.com/cp-technologies-ul-300~7CPTC02X.htm

Good luck. :)

3. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

Just set up photo sharing in iPhoto and music and video sharing in iTunes on both macs;)

You can share files by going into system preferences - sharing - personal file sharing on both macs. Then access each other's HD/home folder or any other disk/HD/flashdrive/iPod connected to one of the macs by pressing COMMAND K, or connext to server in the go menu in Finder, and type in the mac you want to access ip adress.;)

4. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

how about a mini with an external drive connected - a G4 PPC can probably be had for around $300 or less?

I do this for 4 reasons

1. Network Shares
    2. Backup machine, in case lappers go to repair
    3. Print Server, two printers connected at the moment
    4. Development web server

5. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

Thats the way to got for your needs. Either that or an older G4 PowerMac, for about the same money, but with more expandability

6. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

BTW, both iTunes and iPhoto start dogging just a little if your libraries are large and you use a "slow" network connection such as wireless G. While still tolerable in our case (3000+ photos, 30 GB music), its definitely not even close to working with a library on your local machine.

*crosses fingers that N will get ratified sooner than later*