home networking macbook+pc

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by regre7, Jun 15, 2006.

1. regre7 macrumors 6502

I'm switching in a few weeks, and I'm making a final list of stuff I want to get. I'm buying an AirPort Express Base Station with AirTunes so that I can get a good wireless signal in my room and stream straight to my stereo. My question is this: Will I be able to share files and printers with my PC (which is connected to a Netgear wireless router now, but using a wired connection)?

2. nplima macrumors 6502a

well, yes

In theory, yes.
    Your question is a bit vague, but you might learn something useful for your transition by having a look at this:
    http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Dapper#Networking

It is a guide for using a specific Linux distribution (and a good one too, compatible with G3 and G4 CPUs), which has plenty of good instructions that can be of of use for people using Samba (SMB) shares, like all Windows machines do, and all OS X machines can.

In practice, you need to get all computers to join a "workgroup", test if they are communicating with each other (use the "ping" command from a terminal) and then pick the resources you want to share. Just search the Apple help for "join workgroup" "windows file sharing" "samba" "SMB" and you should find all the details you need. That's the basic part. After a while you'll get to the complicated part, when you find out you have a "MS Windows-only" printer :p we'll see...

Nuno Lima

3. regre7 thread starter macrumors 6502