Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

switters

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
east Coast
The client wanted the home page to be divided into 2 major LINKS/Microsites.
She also wanted the 3 general sublinks to be featured in the home/splash page. (she likes the colors oange and blue)

index_8.jpg

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
I don't like it. Just looks like a visual mess to me. Not inclined to do anything other than move on to another site.

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
That text, in Lucida Console (or Sans Typewriter ?) … it speaks to me. It says "hello, I am a DOS box!" Can you find something a little less harsh and maybe not monospaced? It's particularly jarring against that happy little cartooney logo.

L

Lau

Ignoring the aesthetics for the moment, it's hard to tell what it is from a useability point of view, although that's partly because it's an image rather than a webpage. Which bits are the two microsites?

It's probably worth you looking up typographic hierarchies and how to design a page for the viewer to see the information they need in the right order. What's the first thing they should see? What's the second? Is there a clear way to order the information so that they know where to navigate from, what to click on, how to get more information?

switters

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
east Coast
TY for the constrcutive critique.

As suggested, I made font changes.

Let me know what you think.

attached are twoexamples: 1. Logo embossed/ 2. Logo not embossed

Cheers

index_8c.jpg

index_8d.jpg

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Okay, that's considerably easier on the eyes, I'd say not embossed on the logo thingy because the effect is tired. The angled words coming out of the MEAP thingy need twiddling, they look a little jammed-in at the moment.

Lau's question is an important one. It looks like Entertainment and MEAP are the major microsites, but where do I click? Are the M, E, A and P separate links?

switters

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
east Coast
I am moving fast here, this is due today. I am taking all suggestions into consideration.....:))

I placed brackets around the two microsite LINKS. Also, when I code this into HTML, the two bracketed links will be rollovers, colors of the text will change and some surrounding images will also change.

Cheers.

Attached is the same PIC as above but with brackets around the two main links.

index_8d.jpg

L

Lau

I think you need something to make it more obvious that you click there — to me it looks like stylised text on an image. The way people read websites is fairly standard — they expect there to be some kind of bar with links on it and that's how they navigate.

Your website follows this standard well — there's a logo on the top left, a links bar across the top, a nice image in the middle and a contact/address bar across the bottom. Great. People understand this layout, and that makes it easy for them to navigate. Only problem is the nice image isn't an image, it's two links to two different microsites. This breaks that standard layout. Now this isn't a bad thing, but people just won't realise what is is unless you make it very clear that these are links to two microsites.

Never underestimate the stupidity (and the conventional nature) of web users. They expect certain things, and if you don't make it obvious that something else is the case, they just won't click on it. Could something like "Click here to visit the X microsite" work?

switters

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
east Coast
You people have been great. Trully appreciate it!

Working right now on making the 2 major text links more obvious.

I thought that when they become rollovers that that would be sufficient enough....

Oh wel

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
switters said:
I thought that when they become rollovers that that would be sufficient enough....

Oh, no, rollovers are Teh Eeeevil, to be used with great caution. When you have time to come up for air, you'll want to read up on Mystery Meat Navigation. It's an alluring trap but incredibly confusing for the end user. (very often, sites that appear on WPTS are overhauled in reaction to their listings, so the descriptions will mention problems that are no longer present.)

switters

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
east Coast
Allright, I placed brackets around all of the links, including the navigational bar text links. That way, the end-user will notice the brackets around the unconventional Links in the PIC and also notice the brackets in the nav bar and conclude that the unconventional text is also links.

second example I placed the pointing comp hand around the two links. Not sure if I like that though.

index_8e.jpg

index_8f.jpg

tjwett

macrumors 68000
May 6, 2002
Brooklyn, NYC
why not just have the "MEAP" links in a normal vertical or horizontal display?* you have way too many shapes flying around this page, looks like a geometry teacher barfed on the page. the musician graphics are decent and probably necessary. but the meat of the page is a mess. just tone it down a bunch. less is more. usability and simplicity are what the web is about now. this looks very circa 1998.*

pianojoe

macrumors 6502
Jul 5, 2001
N 49.50121 E008.54558
tjwett said:
why not just have the "MEAP" links in a normal vertical or horizontal display?* you have way too many shapes flying around this page, looks like a geometry teacher barfed on the page. the musician graphics are decent and probably necessary. but the meat of the page is a mess. just tone it down a bunch. less is more. usability and simplicity are what the web is about now. this looks very circa 1998.*

I second that. Also, the colors don't match. And: The angle between the guitar neck and the diagonal that seperates the white and the orange fields is, well, disturbing.

I like the vintage mic logo on the top left, but it clashes with the singer's picture. Also, you're losing space on the top. Major redesign?

switters

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2006
east Coast
Thanks for your opinion.....

The positive reviews outweight the negative.

Just handed this over and the client approved.

Thanks for all suggestions.

Cheers

P.S. Have a wonderful weekend

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.