Home PCs not so safe?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by t300, Oct 25, 2004.

1. t300 macrumors 6502a

t300

http://money.cnn.com/2004/10/25/technology/personaltech/cpu_security.reut/index.htm?cnn=yes

This whole article is a big laugh. I am sure most of us Macheads will get a kick out of it.

Most notable parts for me:
    And of course, who could forget such timeless classics such as...
    If only CNN had put it at the end....

2. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

The real question is how long with Apples be immune from this?

And we can still pass on some of the viruses even though they don't affect the macs themselves.

D

3. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I don't think we'll be immune much longer. But I think we'll always be much safer, both due to our smaller marketshare and our smarter user base. ;)

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

One issue is that we have always been so secure, that if something happens we could get caught completely off guard. If you think about it, we're always bragging about how immune we are and that no viruses exist for OS X, etc. The minute one is released, we'll all get it because so few of us are prepared to do "battle."

Those of us with .Mac get Virex, but I'm not sure how wonderful that is...

5. srobert macrumors 68020

srobert

Speaking of the devil:

Link

6. Dalriada macrumors 6502

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, if it isn't that virus, it'll be another one. Sooner or later, they'll get to us. It has been a nice vacation, though. I think I'll take my old BeBox out of the closet and plug it in. It has a browser, and I'd bet my life savings (all $12.53 of it) that there is never, ever going to be a virus that'll touch that thing. ;)

8. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Speaking of Mac threats, I have my OS X firewall turned off ( :eek: ) as it says it interferes with my iPhoto sharing. I remember an iChat AV Apple discussion article saying something like "or to save problems you could just turn the firewall off on both Macs."

Should I be worried about not having the firewall on? My PC is well protected but I have no anti-virus software on my Mac.

9. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

How do you connect to the Internet? Assuming you have a decent hardware firewall between you and the 'net (and most routers have one built in, and they're available for under US$60 if you don't have one already), you're relatively safe. If there's nothing between your Mac and the vast unknown, you're playing a dangerous game.

Also, you'd be much better off just turning off the rules in the Mac firewall which interfere with iPhoto as opposed to shutting it all off.

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

just out of curiosity, does Airport Extreme have a firewall??

11. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

From Apple's site:

12. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

Opener isn't a worm, according to the discussion at MacInTouch; it's a script that requires installation by someone with administrator privileges (though, that could be a hacker who's gained access to your system) but does not spread without manual intervention. At least, not yet.

Also, the discussion seemed to imply that Apple has distributed security patches that would impede Opener since it was posted last September.

13. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Well my internet access comes via a PC with Windows XP Home and internet sharing. The PC gets it via USB modem - my ISP probably has some kind of firewall software.

I'm thinking about getting an ethernet router, but it's just an extra cost that I don't need at the moment. I'll try setting up a port for iPhoto and turn the Firewall on then.

14. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

There's a similar article in my local newspaper today. Some dude with a Dull had several viruses and over 600 pieces of spyware. :rolleyes:

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just imagine how bad it would have been had he actually connected to the Internet. ;)

16. Mr_Ed macrumors 6502

Turn the OS X firewall on and open up port 8770 for iPhoto sharing. It's under "Sharing" in "System Preferences." It's actually pretty easy to do.

17. emw macrumors G4

emw

You may want to spend the $50 or $60 (maybe less) on a reasonable router rather than sharing via Windows. Also, it means your XP box is hanging out unprotected on your internet connection, which I would hazard a guess to say that is not optimal.

You ISP won't be doing much in terms of firewall protection for your home setup.

18. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Sadly in this world you can really say never. At MacWorld Boston there was a company selling a hardware solution as a firewall. It's mainly for security, that is why my wife was interested due to her sensitive patient medical records. I was also interested because of a much safer virus protection.

19. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Well, I think the "never" is safe for the BeBox. Only a few of us have one, not many more have the BeOS that runs on Intel boxes, and I'm pretty certain that no more than a dozen BeBoxen are online.

I agree that the hardware solution is best - meaning a dedicated device with update-able software. Beware, though, that even the popular dedicated devices can be breached. In the end, it's a question of how paranoid you want to be. A dedicated firewall, a router with a built-in firewall, and the firewall in OS X (combined) ought to be enough to stop anything today. Of course, nothing will prevent you from running a Trojan horse application except for your own common sense.

20. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

Now done, thanks.

21. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Well this survey is already down the crapper......

....... who's got the popcorn? :D

22. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Haha what really gets me is how they play it off like it's something new... Are Mac users the only ones who actually realize how infected PC's are? Is there some phenomenon where you only understand that computers aren't supposed to have spy-ware after you've used one that doesn't? But yea, the part where they talk about how updating your virus definitions every week is necessary is hilarious! :D Gives me another reason to let this precious 'book out of my sight. :p ;)

23. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I do.

Article in today's paper warning about all kinds of malware. I'll write tomorrow, "And if you use Mac OS X, none of this applies."

Also, there are two tech columns in our paper. The Mac one always is like, "I have some scanner older than my dad, how can I use it?" and the guy tells them to you scanning software and classic, etc. Or, "Do I need to defragment my hard drive?"
    The Windoze one: "I get thousands of unsent messages a day. What is up with that, they are all undeliverable?" Turns out, that person was hit with a virus that hijacks your computer and turns it into a spam machine. No way to get it off w/o reinstalling Windows, or doing a massive virus scan too complicated to describe in a newspaper column. It is sad...always the same, "My computer is infected!" kind of story...

And although there may be, one day, a virus for the Mac, it isn't here yet and won't be easy to do for a long time. :D

24. whooleytoo macrumors 603

whooleytoo

The reporting about Opener is really starting to bug me - nearly every report about it I've seen describes it as a worm, and that's wrong. It's not a worm, or a virus, or a trojan. I really wish reporters spreading this around as news would read up on the topic beforehand to better understand it.