Home Projector Help

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Markleshark, Jan 10, 2007.

1. Markleshark macrumors 603

Markleshark

ok, so basically I don't have a huge amount of space in my bed room. I was going to buy a HDTV, but I'm not that bothered about HD. So anyway, I think ive decided I'm going to buy a projector but I havn't the first clue about them, so I have quite a few questions if anyone could help me.

How do I get TV on it? I have one of those Freeview boxes, can I use that?
    How do I plug all my stuff into it? I have xbox, xbox 360, DVD, etc, all using SCART how do I use all of that with it? I know I can get a VGA cable for my 360. Is it a viable option to use a projector for what I want?

I'm looking to spend around £400-£600 and I'm looking at BenQ, but what things should I be looking for it to include?

I know theres a lot there, but anything you could help me with would be nice.

Cheers,
    Mark.

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

some projectors come with a s-video conectors on - so you can use a scart to s-video adapter ( come's with ps2's and xbox ect) that will sort out your freeview box

image wise - 2-3 meter will give you a 60- 100 " image depending on what projector you got

i have a picture of my projector screen up on the forums somewhere - i'll digg it out for you.

projector is 3 meters away from wall
    the xbox here is connected via s-video , i also plug my Mac mini into it via VGA connector [​IMG]

3. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

Nice, thanks mate.

What it is though, I have a 3 into one SCART connector box, I switch it to which I want to use (xbox, DVD or Freeview) so what im thinking id be able to do issssss: Get rid of the DVD player, I don't really need that anymore, use S-Video to SCART cable for my freeview, thats that sorted, use VGA for xbox 360 (I've heard its a great picture) and then use the composite cables for my original xbox.

Hmmm. Only problem I have now is the length of all my wires.

Cheers Tom.

4. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

if you go for a decent projector that has good conections on you will not have alot to worry about.

but what are you going to use it for ? Gaming ,TV ,computing or just watching DVD's

IMO TV on my screen at close range gives me a headache - gaming is where it's best

5. Markleshark thread starter macrumors 603

Markleshark

Gaming mostly. TV now and again, don't watch much. 90% of it will be gaming. The amount of DVDs I own you'd think I'd watch more but I don't get the time anymore.

I've been looking at some BenQ ones and the include all the usual connections which we have mentioned, as I say, all ive got to worry about now is cable length, so positioning in the room is going to be vital. Hehe