Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

.mark.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2007
Jersey, C.I.
hey, I'm going to be sorting out my home network and thinking of setting up a home server and I've been considering my options. I've also recently seen the hp windows home server thingy and I'm very impressed - it's inspired me to a mac solution. My requirements are as follows:

• Time machine centralised backups for all macs on the network
  • centralised file sharing
  • itunes server

I don't trust hard drives so I want to make use of raid (or I'm thinking maybe a drobo), so I think that rules out time capsule.

Here's what I'm thinking...

option 1

get an airport extreme and two drobos/raid arrays. One would be for time machine and the other would be for storage. Can I connect two HDs to an aebs? and then I wouldn't be able to have itunes streamed to my macs would I?

option2

get a mac mini and use it as a home server (I would connect the same 2 drobos as in option 1). I would also possibly run os x server on the mini as there are a few features of that which appeal. I'm not sure how the mini would be able to manage the time machine backups of the other macs? would this work with standard os x? or would this only work with os x server?

A benefit of going with option 2 is that the mini could also be connected to my hdtv and used as a media player via front row - but if I did go the way of os x server, does this have front row? I doubt it! but could I install it myself? or should I just get an appleTV for that?

I'm thinking option 2 at the moment but I'd like to hear your ideas as it's potentially going to set me back a fair bit. Also, would os x server be overkill? or would it be a good idea?

what do you think?

.mark.

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 28, 2007
Jersey, C.I.
Buy a dirt cheap PC and install linux on it and you are good to go.

will this solution provide me with a backup solution as elegant and user friendly as time machine?

and can I run an itunes server with linux?

sorry - I don't have much experience of linux!

nick9191

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2008
Britain
Only a time capsule or an Airport Extreme + HDD allows network time machine backups.

Get a time capsule is my advice.

Eraserhead

macrumors G4
Nov 3, 2005
UK
hey, I'm going to be sorting out my home network and thinking of setting up a home server and I've been considering my options. I've also recently seen the hp windows home server thingy and I'm very impressed

Its worth mentioning that Windows Home Server does appear to lose files from time to time, though it is very rare.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.