Home Sharing- alleged firewall problem (-3259)

Discussion in 'iPod' started by liamdillon, Sep 19, 2009.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 1, 2009

I've had this problem since I first tried to share any content between libraries with iTunes 9. In fact, I noticed the same problem when I was trying to stream content to my Apple TV a couple of weeks ago.

So I have an iMac, MacBook Pro and Airport Extreme (802.11n) Base Station. Both Macs have Snow Leopard installed with iTunes 9. None have any third-party firewall software installed nor do they have the firewall turned on in System Preferences.

Here's the problem: when I try to share content from library to library, it doesn't happen. Specifically, I can initialise a connection between both computers so the other computer's library shows up in the sidebar in iTunes, but that's as far as it gets. When I click on said library, there's a 2 minute wait before the following message is displayed.

"The shared library "Liam's Music" is not responding. (-3259) Check that any firewall software running on either the shared computer or this computer has been set to allow communication on port 3689."

I've tried absolutely everything (including a direct Ethernet connection between both Macs- same error message). Most recently, I even verified port 3689 is open using the Network Activity app. If anybody could help me here, I would really appreciate it. I have so much content I want to share to my family's iPods, etc.

2. macrumors 68040

Oct 9, 2008
    Hope this is some help. Also, what firmware is on the AirPort Extreme, 7.4.2?
  3. macrumors member

Jun 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I had a similar problem with a Windows PC, iTunes, and my AppleTV. I don't have my Mac handy to check exactly where you'd find a similar setting, but here's how I fixed the Windows issue and hopefully it helps.

Essentially, I had two instances of Bonjour installed/running. One that iTunes was listening on, and one that the AppleTV was trying to talk to. Both showed up in Control Panel/ Add-Remove Programs. I had to uninstall both instances of Bonjour, then uninstall iTunes, re-download and re-install iTunes. Re-installing iTunes included Bonjour, and once iTunes and the AppleTV were talking to the same instance, there were no more issues.

I backed up my iTunes library files before doing the uninstall/re-install, but iTunes didn't cause any issues and found the correct library when I re-installed.

On a Mac, Bonjour might be in either Applications or Utilities, but I've never looked so I don't know.

BTW, before I found the duplicate instance of Bonjour, I had uninstalled, re-installed, and updated iTunes to try to fix the issue without success. I had to manually handle Bonjour before re-installing iTunes would work.