Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

homesharing.png
With the release of iOS 8.4 and the new built-in Apple Music service, Apple removed Home Sharing for music on iOS devices, a move that many Home Sharing users have been upset about.

It was unclear if Home Sharing for music would be re-added in the future, but according to iTunes chief Eddy Cue, Apple is planning to add Home Sharing to iOS 9. In response to a tweet about the removal of Home Sharing for music, Cue tweeted "We are working to have Home Sharing in iOS 9."

Wording in the release notes for the last iOS 8.4 beta suggested that Home Sharing and Genius Mixes were "not currently available," hinting that the features could return at a later date, and it appears that is indeed Apple's plan.

While Home Sharing for music has been removed in iOS 8.4, the feature is still available for video. Home Sharing for music also remains available on the Mac and the Apple TV. It is unclear when Home Sharing for music will be introduced in iOS 9, but the next beta is expected later this week.

In recent weeks, Apple has been embracing social media, with Eddy Cue answering several questions about Apple Music and related services. Cue also used Twitter to announce Apple's plans to pay artists during the Apple Music free trial after an open letter from Taylor Swift, and he informed users about an upcoming iOS 9 beta seed that will add Apple Music to the new operating system.

Article Link: Apple Working to Add Home Sharing for Music in iOS 9

Reactions: Jessica Lares

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
I wonder if this is because Home Sharing had a hole in its DRM that Apple couldn't leave open with Apple Music.

Before it was fine; music from the iTunes Store has no DRM so it's okay if FairPlay wasn't entirely secure for music. But now with Apple Music, a hole in FairPlay is serious because people can use it to remove DRM from the "rented" music and keep it forever.

The whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth, really; we were finally moving away from DRM on music entirely and now here it is, coming back with a vengeance.

vladzaharia

macrumors regular
Jul 5, 2010
The whole thing leaves a bad taste in my mouth, really; we were finally moving away from DRM on music entirely and now here it is, coming back with a vengeance.

It's impossible to do streaming without DRM, by sheer fact that you have a time-limited subscription that could technically end at any time. You need some way to cut off access to the music when this finishes, hence you need some sort of DRM. Without it, nobody would subscribe past the trial. They'd get a trial, download all the songs they want, and then cancel and keep the songs. With purchases, going DRM-less makes the most sense, since it's a one time transaction.

gijoeinla

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
"8.4, the feature is still available for video. Home Sharing for music also remains available on the Mac and the Apple TV."

Not true for me regarding Beats 1. The OTA Apple TV Icon weirdly disappears from iTunes once I click play on Beats 1. I can however still stream it from the Mac AirPlay button but it then takes over my desktop.

If it's me and someone knows what's up... Plz post

Reactions: mariusignorello

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
And what about those devices that WILL NOT be able to run iOS9 but are left BROKEN by iOS8?

Typical modern day Apple, "if you want, that thing you USED to have go buy new hardware."

Swift

macrumors 68000
Feb 18, 2003
Los Angeles
I wonder if this is because Home Sharing had a hole in its DRM that Apple couldn't leave open with Apple Music.

Before it was fine; music from the iTunes Store has no DRM so it's okay if FairPlay wasn't entirely secure for music. But now with Apple Music, a hole in FairPlay is serious because people can use it to remove DRM from the "rented" music and keep it forever.

I doubt it. Streaming music has Fairplay again. You can record it with Quicktime, though. Movies, not the kind of movies you may have bought from the store, are shared with Apple TV under a new title called "Home Movies." Or you can AirPlay it from your iPhone with 8.4. You know that music contracts forbid "rebroadcasting," which can be taken to be over wifi or Airplay. That's what the fundamental problem is with Sonos speakers supporting Fairplay. It looks to me more like Apple is negotiating contracts for home networks and Airplay, and iOS 9 will put it in action. A fair time ago, all Home Networking disappeared with my Apple TV. Now movies -- even "Home Movies" -- are back. I think they're doing some of the same with music.

Dorje Sylas

macrumors 6502a
Jun 8, 2011
What are you talking about? Every device supported by iOS8 will be supported by iOS9. Same with El Cap and Yosemite.
Not from what's been talked about. Since iOS9 is going to come in "parts", but which parts? Given past behavior the "new" home sharing will require some extra hardware, like a newer Bluetooth chip.

Benjamin Frost

Suspended
May 9, 2015
London, England
Really, Cue?

Casually tweeting that you're thinking of reinstating an important service that your customers have paid for and come to rely on is doing you and Apple no favours. It's reprehensible, and you should know better.

You should never have removed it without warning in the first place. Neither should you be leaving your customers without this service for a third of a year.

Oh, that Apple was still led by a visionary.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
And what about those devices that WILL NOT be able to run iOS9 but are left BROKEN by iOS8?

Typical modern day Apple, "if you want, that thing you USED to have go buy new hardware."

If you're still using the OG iPhone, 3G, 3GS, or 4, it's past time to upgrade.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003

You can always capture the audio digitally and recompress it. You'd loose some sound quality but most people probably wouldn't notice. Home sharing for streamed music in most cases won't be needed since most people have unmetered Internet at home and thus could stream directly from Apple (and you don't need too much bandwidth to stream compressed music). It isn't rocket science to only allow home streaming (to devices not being logged into an subscription account) only for music purchased, ripped or imported otherwise.

Home Sharing is also already limited to the local subnet and something like six clients (though you can use tricks to get past the local subnet).

Reactions: V.K.

manu chao

macrumors 604
Jul 30, 2003
Really, Cue?

Casually tweeting that you're thinking of reinstating an important service that your customers have paid for and come to rely on is doing you and Apple no favours. It's reprehensible, and you should know better.

You should never have removed it without warning in the first place. Neither should you be leaving your customers without this service for a third of a year.
Since Apple Music includes iTunes Match and is free (de facto until the release of iOS 9), you can stream everything in your library via Apple Music. At home, you'd very likely also have unmetered Internet. Only those with library with more than 25000 songs are cut off at the moment.

Reactions: thewebb
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.