Home stereo hard drive MP3 player recommendations?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Super Macho Man, Dec 31, 2006.

1. Super Macho Man macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

So I was thinking about getting a 200-disc CD changer, but I'm wondering if I can be a little more modern. I was looking at this thing: http://www.slimdevices.com/pi_transporter.html and it's kind of what I'm looking for except WAY too expensive and doesn't have a hard drive. I don't want to stream music to a stereo, I want to HAVE music ON my stereo and not need a computer OR a TV for playback.

Are there any stereo components that have a hard drive, play MP3s, have a remote, and are designed for a stereo rack? Like an MP3 player equivalent of a CD changer? Basically I want to be able to play MP3s in my stereo while my computer is off. Yeah, I could get a remote add-on for an iPod..... but I want the stackable big box audio component form factor.

2. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Hmm.. the Archos 504 isn't a rack mount solution, but you can get a nice dock for it (SPDIF and Component out) with remote and it has a 160GB hard drive so there's room for lots of music.

3. Super Macho Man thread starter macrumors 6502a

Super Macho Man

I guess I will have to go with one of those or an iPod-like device. I guess I'm basically looking for an iPod that's shaped like a stereo component. I haven't seen anything like that anywhere.

4. stillwater macrumors regular

Escient makes a line of media servers designed for integration into stereo or home theater system. Here's a link. http://www.escient.com/

5. monke macrumors 65816

monke