Home Theater Media Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tderemigis, Sep 28, 2006.

1. tderemigis macrumors member

Sep 28, 2006
    I've been looking into the idea of setitng up a media server mac/ home theater mac. I currently have a MacBook, which is great and all, but i have too much media and when i have an external drive setup it tethers me down too much for my liking.

Here is my basic idea-
    I think i want it to be more of a media kiosk. I would have all my music on an external drive(s), as well as photos and the dvds i have already begun ripping. I would also add an Eyetv of some sort as a PVR.

I have come up wiht two masic ideas.
    1) iMac G4. This would help with my kiosk idea, in that i could have it setup off in a corner as an all in one unit. All the drives and the eye tv would connect easily. I would basically control everything from right on the iMac. And i would just route video out of the iMac to my HDTV when watching a movie or recorded tv.

2) Is to get a Mac Mini, and have everythign connected the same as with the iMac, but have the Mini connected directly to the TV as a monitor. This seems like it might be eaier in regards to getting good picture to the TV straight through DVI. But i wouldnt need to have everything connected to Mini right at the TV, which coul become quite a mess. I also would lose the kiosk idea of being able to use the mac on its own, as i would need to be hogging the tv to use it.

So i guess im jstu asking you guys for ideas/advice. Thanks!
  2. danielbriggs macrumors 6502

Jun 13, 2006
    Manchester, UK
    Get the Mac Mini and a Buffalo Terrastation for storage, so you can hook it up to a wireless router and stream to both the mini and the MacBook!

Dan :)