Home Theater Media Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tderemigis, Sep 28, 2006.

1. tderemigis macrumors member

I've been looking into the idea of setitng up a media server mac/ home theater mac. I currently have a MacBook, which is great and all, but i have too much media and when i have an external drive setup it tethers me down too much for my liking.

Here is my basic idea-
    I think i want it to be more of a media kiosk. I would have all my music on an external drive(s), as well as photos and the dvds i have already begun ripping. I would also add an Eyetv of some sort as a PVR.

I have come up wiht two masic ideas.
    1) iMac G4. This would help with my kiosk idea, in that i could have it setup off in a corner as an all in one unit. All the drives and the eye tv would connect easily. I would basically control everything from right on the iMac. And i would just route video out of the iMac to my HDTV when watching a movie or recorded tv.

2) Is to get a Mac Mini, and have everythign connected the same as with the iMac, but have the Mini connected directly to the TV as a monitor. This seems like it might be eaier in regards to getting good picture to the TV straight through DVI. But i wouldnt need to have everything connected to Mini right at the TV, which coul become quite a mess. I also would lose the kiosk idea of being able to use the mac on its own, as i would need to be hogging the tv to use it.

So i guess im jstu asking you guys for ideas/advice. Thanks!

2. danielbriggs macrumors 6502

Get the Mac Mini and a Buffalo Terrastation for storage, so you can hook it up to a wireless router and stream to both the mini and the MacBook!

Dan :)