Home theater + ps3?

Discussion in 'Games' started by rye9, Dec 25, 2006.

1. rye9 macrumors 65816

rye9

How would you reccomend I set up an HDTV, a ps3, and a let's say 5.1 channel surround sound system? What should I connect to what and with what cables?... keeping the price as low as possible of course :p

2. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

What connections does your sound system have?

1) TV and receiver has HDMI in and out. Connect PS3 to receiver and receiver HDMI out to the TV. Go into settings and set video out and audio out with HDMI.

2) TV has HDMI and receiver doesnt, but it has optical. Connect PS3 to tv with HDMI. Connect PS3 to receiver with optical. Go into settings and set video out with HDMI and set audio out with optical.

3. rye9 thread starter macrumors 65816

rye9

Ok well cables affect video (HDMI vs component vs composite, etc)... but does it matter on the cable for audio?

4. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

If you can go HDMI to your TV i would, Component can carry up to a 1080p signal just as HDMI can but if you can do it with 1 cable its easier :D

If your receiver will accept a optical input then i would run a standard TOSlink digital audio cable from the PS3 to the receiver. When you first turn on the PS3 it will ask you to send video and audio via the HDMI, say yes then go in to the setting and change the audio to Optical.

Ed