Home Theater System

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by G5Unit, Jan 29, 2006.

1. G5Unit macrumors 68020

G5Unit

Well, everyone here really helped me out in my thread about getting a receiver for my room. And now since my parents are going to get an HDTV for the Living room, they need to replace their 16 year old $1000+ DENON(going to put it in their room).

I was outraged when I saw that the HD DVD players need HDMI, so I need a receiver that can do that.

Here's what I need:
    HDMI
    Component
    Composite
    S-Video
    DVI(Not to important)

At least 2 Optical in(hopefully more)
    Coaxial in

At least 5.1 surround
    DTS, Dolby, THX blah blah
    At least 100 watts per channel(90 ok)
    Powered sub(Not really important right now)

Not Sony

I'm not sure if I would save more by buying a HTIB or everything separate. We are looking to spend max $1000, give or take $100.

Also maybe a media rack to hold all of the components.

I'm posting this here and not in the AVS forums because of the slow and terrible search and the not so nice community.

2. G5Unit thread starter macrumors 68020

G5Unit

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Check out Crutchfield... they have a large selection of AV receivers, very thorough technical specifications for everything they sell, and (the best part) very good pictures of the gear.

Composite video is only important if you have older gear you'll be connecting to your new system... HTIB are OK, but you may find that they lack flexibility to add too many more components.

4. swindmill macrumors 6502a

swindmill

So are you looking for a receiver (only) for 1k, or are you looking for a receiver and 5 speakers?

If just a receiver, you could obviously get what you want and should not have any trouble finding it with a bit of google research, but if you're looking for a receiver and 5 speakers for 1k, you won't be overly happy with what you end up with.

I would stay away from HTIB almost as a rule, if you great performance and upgradability.

As far as a receiver in the sub 1k range, I would look at Denon, Yamaha, and Elite (by Pioneer). Those three tend to have good offerings from ~ $400 on up to several grand.

5. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

:eek:

If they skimp on the powered sub, then you shouldn't even think of gettin that "system"