Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Charliem78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
Hi I have a Mac mini running xbmc with an external 1 1/2 terabyte hard drive storing all my media on it (movies, pictures and music etc). I'm looking for an ideal storage solution where I don't run the risk of losing my files and is also high capacity and fast any suggestions?

Any advice would be appreciated. Someone mentioned drobo to me today any thoughts? I don,t want to spend a huge amount of $.

goldstarqc

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2009
I had the Original Drobo for 3-4 years, never had any problem with it. I sold it because It was connected to a Time Capsule thru USB to share it on the LAN here but was pretty slow for big transfer (limited by USB2.0). I think their lineup now has more options. For me, I needed more a NAS that a Local Storage, so I did not bought a newer one, but a QNAP NAS instead.

If you only want to connect your storage to your Mini, you might only get a Drobo with FW800 to get the Data Security.

Please note that it's only Raid-like and it's not a real backup, if more than 1 (or 2, depends on model) disk fail at the same time, you loose Everything. I suggest buying a NAS with a eSATA port on which you can plug a External disk to configure automatic backup. (Like the QNAP TS-412).

techchallenger

macrumors newbie
Nov 12, 2010
I have a FW800 1.5TB external for my iTunes media connected to a MacMini. I daisy-chain a FW800 2.0TB external as my time machine for the MacMini HD + 1.5TB external HD. I use OWC's Mecury Elite Pros as externals.

mikepro

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Could get a 2TB or 3TB Time capsule and use that to back everything up. Not cheapest solution, but very easy to do. Or just a larger FW800 external drive and use that as Time machine as poster above suggested.

waw74

macrumors 601
May 27, 2008
even RAID with 1 or 2 disk failure is not a surefire secure backup method. as the whole RAID itself can fail and take everything with it.

RAID will not be cheap, at least $300 for a decent enclosure, plus disks

RAID will get you speed, and some insulation from disk failure.
it also gives you larger volumes, so if you go past 2TB of movies, you don't have to split them between disks.

for basic movie watching, the speeds you can get from RAID are overkill. Even straight Blu-ray Rips are under 4 MB/s, USB2 easily handles 20-30.
faster is not always better, you need to look at your usage, and pick a solution that works for you.

depending on how important the files are to you, absolute best backup solution is an offline backup at your location (something you plug in once a week or so to make current, then unplug and put it in a safe place). And you'd have a second backup disk that you keep at your office (or a friend's house) and once a month swap the 2 backups, meaning even if you loose your house, at most you only lost a month of data.

---
also ...
time machine backups aren't the most stable things, they can corrupt themselves pretty easily, it's a good to have for an "oopsie backup", but don't depend on them 100%. (as i've learned the hard way)

davidoloan

Suspended
Apr 28, 2009
Hi I have a Mac mini running xbmc with an external 1 1/2 terabyte hard drive storing all my media on it (movies, pictures and music etc). I'm looking for an ideal storage solution where I don't run the risk of losing my files and is also high capacity and fast any suggestions?

Any advice would be appreciated. Someone mentioned drobo to me today any thoughts? I don,t want to spend a huge amount of $.

You could put 2 large hard drives in the Mini using the iFixit kit and back up to the external.
http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/Mac-Mini-Dual-Hard-Drive-Kit/IF171-005
Install Video http://www.ifixit.com/Apple-Parts/Mac-Mini-Dual-Hard-Drive-Kit/IF171-005#productVideos

Last edited:

Charliem78

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 15, 2012
I went with the drobo 4 bay FireWire option with 4 3terabyte drives in it thank you

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.