Home Webcam Set-up - Help Please

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mpw, Feb 2, 2005.

1. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Can I and if so how do I use my DV camcorder as a webcam?

I have;
    a 1.8Ghz iMac G5 running OS X 10.3.x with iChat AV etc.
    a .mac account.
    a Canon DV camcorder
    a 512k ADSL internet connection.

I want;
    1) To leave the camcorder at home merrily connected via Firewire to my iMac which in turn would be connected to the internet with the ADSL connection.
    2) To go to work connect may office Windows XP to the internet, again 512k ADSL, and watch the ‘fish in my living room’.

I don’t want;
    1) To add any software to my IE using Windows XP PC.
    2) You, no offence, to be able to watch ‘my fish’.

Any help would be great.
  2. h0e0h macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2004
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    here's the way that i've done it

When i went on my Senior Trip with some people from my church we used my Canon ZR-60 to broadcast back to the rest of our youth group via me using ichat AV and someone else using AIM, so i guess that you could start a conversation and broadcast directly via ichat/aim. Just a suggestion, but it worked for us, and that way you could privately watch your 'fish swim'...
  3. mpw thread starter Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    That would've been my first thought too but there's no AIM on my work PC so it's got to be a soloution that can be viewed with IE.

But Thanks
  4. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

Mar 3, 2004
    the great OKLAHOMA....
    An inherent problem with the DV camera idea. ( i used to do it alot) It times out. I hate that. After 5 minutes, it shuts off. Killing your connection. The only way you can stop that is, shuffling through the menus, or pressing record. Unless, your camera has that ability optional, i would find it hard to leave it on for an extended period of time.

Plus, somehow you are going to have to send that video conference (if you are going to be using aim) and the only way is having both connections on. Plus, using Windows in general is shaky anyways (for video-conferencing between mac and pc). There might be some other program out there that allows you to broadcast the signal. That would be the only way. But now that brings us back to the Mini-DV camera timing out...