Home WiFi Problems

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by carfac, Oct 12, 2006.

1. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

Hi:

My home wifi has some problems. I have an ActionTec wireless router, and 3 computers that use it, 2 wireless. Periodically, through the day, the wireless connection drops to those computers. The router shows the wireless is still up.

This morning, when it dropped, I refreshed the network list, and I could see my wifi, but I could not connect- it would try, but something was not working, so it could not join.

I am thinking that a neighbor is causing this. I ahve one really strong wifi net showing up, but I do not know what channel he is on. I decide today to switch to the other end of the spectrum- I went from channel 11 to channel 2, just to see if that would help. I do not know what there yet.

There are 3-4 other wireless nets that also show up, but as weak. The one neighbor shows up as just about as strong as my wireless.

Other than try changiong channels, any other ideas what to do?

Dave

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Changing the channel is an excellent start. You could try moving the router to a better location (the higher the better in most cases, and make sure there isn't much metal nearby). You could also try changing the security on the network. What form of security are you using at the moment? :)

3. jtown macrumors 6502

Why try other, less likely solutions before trying the obvious? You hit the nail on the head. Probably. It'll take about two minutes to find out.

Use MacStumbler to make sure you're not trying to use someone else's channel. You'll also have trouble with 2.4Ghz cordless phones, old microwaves, and anything else leaking in that range. Keep trying the open channels until you find one that works.

4. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Channel 11 is the channel to use. When I was having problems with my router I changed it to 11 and everything was good to go again. I'd recomend making a backup of the settings-just incase.

5. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

Thanks.

I think that mac srtumbler may be fo some help, so I can at least see what other things are around me (I assume that is what it does, at least).

We moved our home phones from 2.4 gig to 5 gig (or something like that) to help prevent this.

Router is upstairs, at the top of the stairs, so about as good a location as I can find And still have power. The wireless comouters are down stairs.

Security is WPA.

DAMN- I just got knocked off again for 3 minutes! So, channel 11 and 2 both suck for me here.

Lets give sniffer a try and see what it comes up with!

Dave

6. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

Well, that was a bust. Mac Stumbler crashes on my iMac.

I did reopen, but it found nothing.

Airport here sees 4 neibors WIFIS, but not the one RIGHT NEXT TO THE iMAc!no more than 2 feet away, and not on the list. However, the laptop is connected to the wifi downstaors.

Stranger and stranger....

ANy other programs similar to macstumbler????

7. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

OK, I found a widget to sniff for networks. The powerful neightbor one that I thought was knocking me off was on 6... and the others were 9, 10 and 11.

So, I reset mine down all the way to 1- we'll see how that works!

Dave

8. carfac thread starter macrumors 65816

carfac

Wow- talk about an eye opener!

I got a wifi sniffer for windows (my laptop), and went for a little walk around my house. Inside, NOT outside. I found 14 networks!

2 on 9, 2 on 10, 2 on 11, and the rest on 6.

So, it looks like here, channel one is a good choise. However, what else might be on 1? Is that where phones are? Anything else around 1 that could coause problems? I had problems on 2, so that is why I am wondering. I could go to 14 if the low end is noisy with other "stuff" I guess. Anyone know?

Dave