Homeless Man Rewarded for Honesty

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by PlaceofDis, Jul 26, 2006.

1. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Linky

this is an amazing story if you ask me, actually kinda choked me up a bit.
    reminds me that there is some hope left in humanity.

sorry i couldn't find a better link... the cnn story was video only. grrr.

2. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Aww that's so great.

Kind of distgusting that they only gave him $100 though. What a slap in the face. I would have given him half. Right now he's at $4000 worth of gifts for being honest, I hope he makes it to $10,000. I would paypal him a gift but something tells me he doesn't have a paypal acount.

3. aquajet macrumors 68020

Good man. I hope the job lead given to him from the two businessmen pans out.

4. PlaceofDis thread starter macrumors Core

the cnn video says that he got the job.

5. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

That kind of treatment is disgusting!!!! Just because he's homeless doesn't mean he should be treated poorly. It is social discrimination!

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    One thing here... we don't know the circumstances of the person who lost the bonds before we start criticising the $100. Who's to say that it wasn't the payment for their sick kid's cancer treatment?

Either way, it wasn't pocket change to that person and while, if it was their life savings, I wouldn't expect them to have given up all of it, i do think they should have given the guy more than $100 as a reward. 10% as a minimum.

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Well, considering they didn't have any sort of obligation to give him anything, it beats not getting anything. That said, how long would it take to get back $100 from the interest of $21,000 deposited into a standard savings account? I would figure about 2 quarters (judging from the $15 I got after cashing $2,500-ish in bonds and leaving the funds in my account for only a few months).

8. macEfan macrumors 65816

macEfan

Forbidden, you do not have access to that server
    ah that was a touching story.. I do agree that guy should have gotten at least a $500 reward from the person who owned the savings bonds.

9. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Wow, i mean few people would do that, many people with a house would keep it, but this man has so little but he still gave that stuff back. This is truely a sign of what humans are cablely of

10. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

Proof there is still good in this world. WOOT. :)

11. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

About two months in a money market fund at today's interest rates...maybe closer to six weeks.

12. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Hope Springs Eternal

To be honest I would have to think hard about what to do if I found $21,000 in bonds. But I am moved by the honesty this man has displayed and hope I too would be as good a person.

13. jaysmith macrumors regular

if i found THAT much, i would have to give it back. honestly, if it was less than $5000, and i found out the person was fairly rich, i may not be so forgiving. but he deserves more than $4000 for his efforts.

14. n8236 macrumors 65816

I believe in kharma and if i didn't return it, any bad luck that comes my way I would blame for my dishonesty. But the $100 is pretty slim considering he returned 21k, I would of easily given him $2,000 or more.

But I think what the man received in return is much greater than the money alone. Now he has a roof over his head, food on the table, and a steady stream of income.

15. xfiftyfour macrumors 68030

xfiftyfour

wow, very touching story indeed...!

it's about time a story like this came out of detroit than the shootings we're used to :p (my hometown is just outside of the city).

16. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Great story PlaceofDis, nice to hear that people can be still do good onto others. :)

For the record, If I was the owner of those bonds, I would have given that homeless man a much larger reward than $100. :)

17. stonyc macrumors 65816

stonyc

That job lead (which someone said he ended up getting) is worth way more than any immediate monetary reward that guy got.. What's that saying... Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. Good for him.

18. celebrian23 macrumors 65816

celebrian23

19. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Very true stonyc. :)

20. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I'd say 1 month if you put it in my savings account. ;) That's why $100 isn't enough.

I'd say $1000 is enough. Anyone willing to give half of it away has money. What if they family who lost the bonds didn't have much themselves? Yes, they would have lost it all, but under that circumstance, I'd say $1000 is good. If the people who lost the bonds had money elsewhere and didn't have financial problems, I'd say several thousand, or even half the money is possible.

21. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

Good story. I really think $100 is an insult. I mean, 100 is nice, but hes homeless, and they got 21,000 back, I think $2,500 is good.

I'm glad to hear the community is helping out.

22. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

$1,000 would have been better, but I still think that I would have given more to the guy. :eek: :)

$2,500 seems generous enough. :)

23. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

DeSnousa

It makes me wonder that such a 'small' generosity of the community has changed the homeless mans life around. We should be more giving I believe.

I mean, a lot of the homeless people are great guys and deserve a chance and it took the act of one man, before he received his chance to have a 'act' repaid back to him. What is the limit when someone decides to help another is my point?

A great story though that touches my heart :)