Homepage support gone in iPhoto 06?!?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Gee, Jan 15, 2006.

1. Gee macrumors 65816

Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere, but....

I've just been playing with the new things in iLife 06, which I bought partly because I was hoping to make something more of the photo albums I've published to .mac - the new iweb seemed like an ideal solution.

However, not only does iWeb not seem to have much in the way of templates for photo pages (certainly compared with the ones available through homepage), I also seem to have lost the button in iPhoto that lets me publish albums to homepage.

Please tell me this isn't right! It seems that not only have I 'upgraded' to something that doesn't do what I want, I've also upgraded away access to something that I used a lot.

Homepage (and its nice selection of templates) gone?

2. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Unfortunately, I believe so. I thought for a moment it might have survived as the .Mac slides that are listed under Share but I can't now see a way to get the pics there.

There is still a way to get into the .Mac templates. You need to export your images and put them up on your iDisk and then use the web frontend to tell Homepage that you want a photo album page with template x. Then you can choose the album of pics you've uploaded and it will look as it did in the past.

Perhaps not enough people were using lots of different templates so they figured that less would be OK in iWeb. It's the seasonal ones that I'll miss.

3. Gee thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks for the reply

That really is a bit of an arse! I only upgraded because I wanted to be able to do more with my current photo web pages, not lose the ability to make them all together!

I used several of the homepage templates, and I liked the way it framed your pics and you could choose 2 or 3 columns - the iWeb version just seems to plonk 3 columns of pics on a plain background. Not really, not nearly the same thing.

Bugger is all I can say.

4. AtHomeBoy_2000 macrumors 6502a

AtHomeBoy_2000

I dont have any links, but accoridn to a post I saw somewhere, iWeb publishes to web.mac.com while homapage is homepage.mac.com. THey are not compatable.

5. Gee thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, saw that myself. It's not so much the lack of compatibility that annoys me, it's the fact that I can no longer use homepage from iPhoto in the new version. If I reinstall the 05 version, my 'publish to homepage' button will be restored. They have removed a feature I liked a lot.

6. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

My whole family website was built in Homepage. I'm not sure I want to upgrade base on what I am reading here.

7. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

Apple apparently wants you to use iWeb instead, though HomePage seems to have a lot more options in terms of templates (though not as easy to customize). I wouldn't be surprised to see HomePage disappear at some point.

8. Thomas S macrumors member

If you go to Apple's website you can leave feedback for their products. If enough people leave it, maybe they'll add Homepage templates to iWeb. You never know :D.

9. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I've carefully documented three years of family photos in Homepage. Do you think Apple might pull the plug on Homepage? I have backups of all the photos, but no where are they so nicely organized by date with the bad ones weeded out. I would be really angry if I went there one day and it were all gone without a warning.

10. Gee thread starter macrumors 65816

I don't think they'll just delete your existing pages. You just can't add to them using homepage if you upgrade.

11. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I sent them feedback as well. I am concerned about losing all my Homepage pages. Anyone know a good way to backup Homepage photo albums? I have all the originals but want to back up the actual pages. If anyone goes to my link in the sig, you'll see that my childrens' lives are documented there carefully, beginning in utero.

12. Gee thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks. I did the same. All I want really is the Homepage button back in iPhoto so that I can choose whether to use Homepage or iWeb. Simple, no?

13. bobbytee macrumors newbie

The homepage pages are still there in the Sites directory of your iDisk, and you can still link to them from pages created in iWeb, so that shouldn't really be a problem.

You can also post pictures in 2 or 3 column views using iWeb. Once you have a Photo page if you bring up the inspector panel (Apple-I) you can choose two or three columns, lots of other options etc. etc. You can even arrange the photos using drag and drop. There aren't as many templates as Homepage, but half the homepage ones are horrible anyway :eek:

14. Gee thread starter macrumors 65816

Yes, but it's not being able (easily) to create new pages that I'll miss. And I liked some of those templates.

15. amin macrumors 6502a

amin

I liked some of those templates also. I like being able to have counters and "send me a message" automatically. I know these are very easily implemented features in iWeb, but you still have to insert them and choose a location. Overall, in my very brief experience (bought iLife '06 yesterday) iWeb just isn't easy enough for when I want to be very, very lazy. Homepage filled that role well.

16. Moof1904 macrumors 65816

Exactly. In mere seconds I can select a batch of newly added photos and publish them to my Homepage. It seems with iWeb, now I must update the entire site just to add a page. I've read reports of very long wait times because iWeb doesn't just update changed or new pages, it re-outputs the entire site with each change.

I don't want to be a web designer. I don't really want to have and maintain my own web site. That's why I used iPhoto to simply publish to my Homepage. It was quick and easy and kept the remote family happy.

17. DVDSP macrumors regular

Easiest answer

Just do what I do. Install iLife '06 on only ONE of your Macs and leave iLife '05 on the others. This way you get all the improvements that come with '06 but if you need some of the old functionality that is missing in '06 you still have '05 available.

Simple. :)

18. Gee thread starter macrumors 65816

But what about my other three Macs? Which version should I install on those? Maybe I need to buy a couple more ;-)