homerjward's many-question thread

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by homerjward, Mar 14, 2006.

1. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

there were a few threads i wanted to post on various topics, but i figure'd i'd merge them into one thread for compactness' sake.
    • i need to buy a telephoto (zoom?) lens for my nikon d50. unfortunately my budget is ~$150 :( any recommendations? i don't mind manual focus but i do need metering capability which i guess rules out non-chipped mf lenses. i've looked at the 70-210 f/4-5.6 (non-d) and the 70-300g, but i'm not sure...any recommendations? if i got a prime i'd prefer it to be around 135mm or 200mm
    • do hitachi 1.8" drives work in 3g ipods? i have a 15gb but desperately need more capacity and a 60gb hitachi drive is way less than a new 60gb ipod....probably a pretty stupid question
    • anybody know where to get a 52mm nikon reversing ring in san antonio? it kinda needs to be local.
    • i recently turned 16, and i figure i should get a job. any advice on where to get one? i'm interested in like technology, photography, etc. who pays well to 16 yo's :p:D i wouldn't mind working at a fast food restaurant or wherever--i just need money :eek::p

2. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Photo Technician at a drug store like CVS? They pay pretty well and will train you...:)

3. homerjward thread starter macrumors 68030

homerjward

ooh....sounds fun :) and theres a cvs down the street from my house....and a wolf camera even closer

something else i remembered to ask: currently my home network is a modem/wireless router with one computer connected via wires and 3 connected wirelessly. to get online with my xbox i need to unplug the wired one, and i'd like to be able to have both on at the same time. what do i need to do this and have all the devices on the same network? a router? hub? i have no idea :eek: i'm a networking n00b

4. homerjward thread starter macrumors 68030

homerjward

5. DeeJay Dan macrumors member

For the Xbox you'd just need to replace your current router with one that has 4 ports, this way your PC and Xbox will be wired and you still have two open ports for what ever in the future.

If you don't want to spring for a router with built in wireless, seeing as you already have a wireless access point. Just buy a regular router and plug in the wired connection out from your WAP to the connection input on the new router.

You'd be better off buying a combo as having two routers can be a PITA to configure.

6. Shamus macrumors 6502a

Shamus

Any Apple centres nearby? ;)

EDIT: Sorry, you need to be 18 to work at an Apple centre.