homeschool pricing?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Hwnlocalgurl, May 11, 2004.

1. Hwnlocalgurl macrumors newbie

Apr 19, 2004
    I was wondering if anyone knows what is the requirement for the homeschool pricing from Apple. Their website really doesn't say much, do you need the receipt for the schoolwork and ID? I tried emailing Apple, but no response yet. I even signed up for an account on and tested out ordering a computer, but it doesn't say much about proof.
  2. Squareball macrumors regular

Mar 16, 2004
    Palo Alto, CA
    I just bought my new ibook online with my student discount. Thing is, they never asked me to prove I was a student. Apparently if you buy online just go and say you're a student and pick a college in your area and you will get the student discount. As you are indeed a home schooler, you're not scamming them.
  3. Hwnlocalgurl thread starter macrumors newbie

Apr 19, 2004
    Really? I finally contacted the store near here and got them to reply. All they said I needed was the receiptfor the curriculum and my ID. I could also go on and go through them?
  4. RBMaraman macrumors 65816

Jul 25, 2002
    Prospect, KY
    They do random checks to prove people are actually students. I've been asked to fax Apple a copy of my student ID 3 times. They don't process the order until they receive conformation.
  5. kylos macrumors 6502a

Nov 8, 2002
    Ok, I found this at the apple homeschool site.
    Provide a complete school curriculum for the children you homeschool

Meet the homeschool (teaching) requirements set forth by your appropriate Department of Education

However, I just tested an order from the apple website and it did not ask for verification other than clicking a link which claims you are legitimate in your purchase.

Edit: As RBMaraman has pointed out, you might have to fax proof. I thought that could be a potential problem.
  6. Danrose1977 macrumors regular

When I ordered on the UK applestore I was not asked to prove my student credentials, my freind was though... looks like it comes down to random testing.
  7. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    I don' tthink they care too much about the educational discount, I guess the policy isn't abused too much. To get the Studen ADC discount (400 bucks on my 12 inch powerbook) you have to fax them a copy of your student ID.