HOMEWORLD 2 and Empire Earth 2 and a projector

Discussion in 'Games' started by Sundance Kid, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Sundance Kid macrumors regular

Sundance Kid

Has anyone tried homeworld 2? Is it worth buying?
    :cool:
    Concerning Empire Earth 2, does anyone know if it will come out for mac? Man would i love to get my hands on that game when it comes out. :) :)

Has anyone tried playing games on a projector? I was thinking it would be so cool to play say... Homeworld or Halo on like 50inch screen. Do they have good resolution? :cool:

2. grimmace macrumors regular

Projection

I have played games on a projector and it is great. However, the downfall is that a projector's bulb only has a lifespan of 200-300 hours. Bulbs cost about $400+ depending on their lumens. The higher the lumen, the brighter the screen (which determines watching during daytime hours).

So, although the game is great as well as movies etc. Your subject to only a certain amount of game play. I only use mine mostly for movies at night but I do have a high lumen and can play anytime.

Best bet for big screen is projection TV, plasma, etc. Those are not subject to bulb life.

As for Homeworld 2: I have played it and it's a good game but much more difficult than H1. So difficult that I dont really bother with it much anymore. Online play is the most fun. Lots going on in realtime.

grimmace

3. Drgnhntr macrumors regular

I found homeworld 2 to be very enjoyable. There is a demo available if you want to give it a try before you buy it.
    http://www.macworld.com/news/2004/10/12/hw2demo/index.php

I will try HW2 out on our projector later today and let you know how it looks. Can't do that sort of thing with the boss around. ;)

4. Sundance Kid thread starter macrumors regular

Sundance Kid

Bulbs cost that much!?! Maybe i could just borrow one from somebody. Do you use a screen, or just project in on your wall? I would think it would be cheaper to invest in a projector, but those bulbs are so damn expensive, its prabably better just to get a really big tv.

I have Homeworld 1 and Cataclysm for my pc. I wanted to know if people liked it on their mac.

5. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

I have tried Homeworld 2. In fact, I have finished the game. It is a great game, with stunning visuals, and a lot of action, delivered in a strategically complex way... It will promise you hours of single player fun and play. But as Far as multiplay is concerned, well... I cannot say I am pleased!

The networking code is great, and the game will run smoothly even in the most difficult networking conditions. But the game lacks of players for the mac. It utilizes Gameranger in order to find netwrork games. And you can play only with Mac peers.

So, final verdict. Homeworld 2 is pretty good. But only in single play. In multiplay I cannot say that it will give you what you want.

6. cubist macrumors 68020

EE2

EE (from Sierra) never came out on Macs, and so I wouldn't expect EE2 to do so either. The single-player demo is out for EE2 (Windows only), it's much more complex and difficult.

Have you considered Rise of Nations?

Thanks for the link on the HW2 demo, I'll go get that.

7. Sundance Kid thread starter macrumors regular

Sundance Kid

Cool! Now all i have to do is get my pb, and all should be good. :D

8. robyrt macrumors newbie

9. tliptak macrumors regular

Ya 2k to 3k hours is actual bulb life.

I have a projector. Infocus 4805, I dont play any mac games but I play lots of xbox games. It great.

10. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

Projector

I also play games on a projector, just thrown up on the wall. It's hard to play in the daytime, but at night it's pretty spectacular. I play Hot Shots golf and it's actually harder for me to time the swing because the bar is so big...that might just be me. The resolution on mine is pretty good but you see a "screen door" effect, meaning you can see the individual pixels in the image. The bigger the image, the bigger the pixels. It's not hard to get used to. I also have a 38" direct-view HDTV...that's a better picture, but obviously not as big.