homeworld 2 demo

Discussion in 'Games' started by ted94709, Oct 13, 2004.

1. ted94709 macrumors newbie

i just downloaded the homeworld 2 demo with moderately high expectations. first off i knew with my 12" pb rev b i wouldnt get the highest of all framerates to say the least, but i was expecting something halfway decent with detail set to low. however, when i ran the demo it was completely unplayable for me...the game looked like a slide show, even when there didnt seem to be very many polygons on screen. i'm wondering, are others having this problem or is there something wrong with my setup that makes it run so terribly.

i loved the first homeworld when i had my 4 year old pc which ran it perfectly...and am hoping that my 1 year old mac isnt already such a dinosaur that it cant run this game. :mad:

thanks in advance!

pb 12" 1 ghz, 1.25 gig ram, 40 gig hd, geforce fx go5200 32mb, 10.3.5

2. tiselday macrumors member

I get a similar slide-show effect in my new iMac G5 1.8 at any resolution. I guess that the problem comes from the now infamous nvidia 5200 card, as several other users have reported in this thread:

http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/comments.php?ArticleID=10264

Let's hope that the upcoming 10.3.6 update fixes the problem.

3. Diatribe macrumors 601

Diatribe

Don't be sad. It's a sucky game anyway, and that comes from someone who has played both the first and the add on. This game is really annoying, has a bad interface and leaves you with nothing but a "build army, computer attacks you, rebuild, computer attacks you...." scheme. The second you rebuild your fleet you get attacked again. The difficulty is insane and although I can beat the game I don't feel like doing so.

4. ted94709 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks for the condolances, i guess i should be spending more time doing something productive rather than playing a crappy game anyway. :)

5. benpatient macrumors 68000

I actually thought it was quite a lot of fun...hard, but fun.

maybe I'm a masochist or something.

6. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

Its one of those games... Takes a little while, but Homeworld 1 was even more complicated.

7. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

I can sense choppiness when there are only two ships on the screen. I am starting to have serious anger-buildup-issues when it comes to gaming with this 9600pro. :mad:

Why doesn't Aspyr post REAL-WORLD minimum requirements? The current min req is a joke.

8. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

My comp ran the game like a pro, very little to no slowdown at 1280 by 1024 everything at MAX.

But the demo's audio is VERY buggy... :cool:

9. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

Everything worked pefect for me :) And I thought it was fun.

10. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

Demo so good bought full game next day!

I love RTS games (Starcraft and warcraft III) and I love Sci Fi (the worse the better) - so, any time you can do battle on the astrometrics lab view is incredible... but with a 6800 card and 2.5dp and evrythign set as high as possible on 1920X1200 resoolution on a 23inch screen this game is fluid and flawless.... :D and BEAUTIFUL!

WOW is all I can say! - I'm so tired of FPS and RPGs that this is what I've been waiting for - so while no game is for everyone - I love this one!!! :p

Just my two cents!
    :p

Iriejedi

11. iriejedi macrumors 6502a

iriejedi

so buy a 6800

yeah - I'd recommend a 9800 or 6800 for gaming... pay price now - will save lots of money over the cost of therapy for anger management! :p

12. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

Of

Well almost anything would run like "fluid" on your mac. oh and the full game runs perfect on full graphics (apart from shadows) on my powerbook. and the demo ran like a bitch, so don't let the bad peformance in the demo stop you from buying the game. jeez it runs quite well on my friends 800mhz i-book g3.

13. WhiteSavage macrumors regular

WhiteSavage

Yeah, it a great game. Only downside is it doesnt support cross-platform gaming :\

14. mishi macrumors regular

mishi

Does anyone know when it will be made Cross Platform?

15. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

FWIW, it plays just fine on my Rev. A dual-2.0/9600 Pro system, all settings maxed out. The 5200 might not play this game, but the 9600 Pro is fine with it. I'm also tempted to buy the real thing, having enjoyed Homeworld on my PC in 1985 or whenever it was it came out.... ;)