Homeworld 2 on new iBook

Discussion in 'Games' started by supergrandma, Sep 27, 2005.

1. supergrandma macrumors member

Sep 27, 2005
    I play Homeworld 2 on my PC all the time, but will it run smoothly on a new iBook? I'm planning to get a new 12" iBook with 1 GB of RAM. Also, it says on the Apple website that HW2 will only do Mac-to-Mac network play. Is there any way around this so that I can do Mac-to-PC play? Thanks.
  2. DeSnousa macrumors 68000

Jan 20, 2005
    Brisbane, Australia
    I play the game on an older iBook, 1.2 ghz with 768mb of ram and the older 9200 graphics card. Settings played at natural screen resolution and graphics are set quite high. Its very playable :)
  3. supergrandma thread starter macrumors member

Sep 27, 2005
    Cool. Now is there any way to play against PC users?
  4. GorillaPaws macrumors 6502a

Oct 26, 2003
    Richmond, VA
    Just don't order the mac version from Comp USA via Amazon. I ordered mine on the 12th and am still waiting to get it. The demo worked fine on my G4 iMac 800mhz w/ 768 ram. As far as networking between mac/pc, I'm not sure, but usually it's not possible to get around, sorry.

edit: when I said the demo ran fine, the settings were turned down somewhat, but graphics aren't really that important imo, it's all about the gameplay.
  5. supergrandma thread starter macrumors member

Sep 27, 2005
    I agree. As long as it runs smoothly.
  6. steelfist macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2005
    recently i downloaded homeworld 2 on my ibook g4 1.33 ghz radeon 9550 notebook and it ran smoothly. nothing to worry about :D

however, i find apple computers not as adept at multitasking than their pc counterparts so don't try to run like a lot of dashboard widgets or bittorrent wtih 10 downloads at a time or it will be barely noticably choppy.

good game decent graphics, nice concept, (although annoying to get used to 3 dimensional starcraft), innovative, and the transition from pc to mac is very very good. unlike some other games. it will play fine on mac mini on default quality i assure you.

i don't play homeworld 2, but it's a good game and i respect it as a company that wants to revive the space-strategy starcraftlike feel to players and give them something innovative to play with before starcraft 2 comes out (if it ever does)
  7. steelfist macrumors 6502a

Aug 10, 2005
    homeworld 2 wil play fine on your ibook g4. i assure you. i have a ibook g4 1.33 ghz 12 inch 1 gb radeon 9550 mobility and it ran fine at default settings and 1024 resolution. quite nice to look at.

even though i don't play the game, i like homeworld 2's concept and it's trying to be innovative attitude. trying to bring players out of the 2d strategy games and trying to make it as simple as possible. this company, i forgot it's name has done a good job of giving starcraft 2 waiters something to play with before starcraft 2 comes out.

the company wants to show blizzard how to play future strategy games right. instead of only developing warcraft stuff and starcraft ghost blizzard should get their old classic (starcraft)revived, continued, and moving.

so, i respect Homeworld 2, and it plays nicely on a mac mini I assure you :D. however, please note that mac machines aren't as adept at multitasking as their hyperthreaded intel friends so don't try to have some other cpu eating program running like bittorrent downloading 10 programs at a time or macjanitor, or something like that.
  8. Palad1 macrumors 6502a

Feb 24, 2004
    London, UK
    Did anyone get any success in playing H2 with a PC?