Honda poised to make BAR F1 move

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Nov 17, 2004.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Not at all surprising... Honda has wanted it's own F1 team since the late '90's.

It's interesting that Dave Richards would probably move on... IMHO he's the one that has been instrumental in making BAR the 2nd best team in F1 at the moment, and such a loss would surely hit the team hard.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/4019701.stm

2. brap macrumors 68000

Mmm... drooling at the prospect of hard core Honda - Toyota rivalry. They'll both be throwing serious money and research to outstrip the other, somewhat similair to BMWs entry back in the murky midsts of time to a panic'ed Mercedes...

The reduction in the amount tobacco advertising is a welcome side-effect, too. Imperial are a huge corporate villain, IMHO, just like the rest of those leeches.

3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

So, we lose Jaguar yet gain a new "factory" team. On paper it looks very good for BAR in '05.

It's kind of a funny situation now though with Ferrari's dominance. I mean, how can you speak of a rivalry when nobody's close?

I also say hurrah to the end of tobacco ads.

4. takao macrumors 68040

takao

interesting... another factory team coming up... i'm pretty sure some other manufactures are consider soemthing like that as well...

5. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Lets just hope they make more of an attempt than Fords half arsed approach at Jaguar... :rolleyes: I'm sure they will though... when Honda do F1, they don't f**k about history illustrates that perfectly!

I think BAR will be bang up there again... but next season I'm swinging towards a Ferrari Vs. McLaren year, with the new aero rule changes this will benefit the teams with the best aerodynamicists (Rory Bryne and Adrian Newey) and no one else comes close to either of those guys. Newey cars totally dominated the '90's and no one other than a Bryne car has won a WCC this century!! :eek:

Toyota throw serious money at F1 now...(largest budget in F1) yet have been fighting Minardi for the last few seasons... :eek: hopefully the thought of Honda having it's own team will get them to raise their game!

Could be interesting though... in a few years time, once the Dream Team begins to splinter and retire, we could find ourselves in a position where the title is between Toyota and Honda!! :eek:

6. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

When Toyota joined F1 I was expecting a serious challenge, turned out a bit different.

It's funny how Ferrari's fantastic performance is no longer "news". We are all more interested in who will be "best of the rest". But 25 years from now it'll be "Yeah, so-and-so is awsome, but they could never beat Shuey in his prime".

You're right about Ford's F1 record, a total embarassment. They hyped themselves right out of contention with their big braggy introduction, and it was all downhill from there...

7. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I wouldn't call having the outright engine manufacturer win record (until this season anyway ;)) exactly embarrassing. Didn't Ford engines earn more championships than any other? Heck, even Schumi got a c'ship with them!

8. brap macrumors 68000

Stewart Ford were competing at pretty much the top end when they had (IIRC) Reubens and Johnny Herbert. The team turned Jaguar, gained Eddie Irvine, lost Reubens and everything went belly-up!

But yeah, Jaguar was a total mess.

Toyota... hm. It always strikes me as management issues, rather than having a poor team. Driver changes, crew changes, no wonder they don't know whether they're coming or going. I'm sure they didn't start off with such a huge budget though, correct me if I'm wrong, but it seems recruiting Ralf is to be mainly a face-saving move and damn the cost!

9. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Yeah, Johnny and Rubens were doing pretty darn well before Ford went almost-whole-hog in it.
    Yeah, I think firing McNish and Salo after the first season was pretty dumb. Both of them are extremely experienced. McNish in sports cars, and Salo won a GP for Ferrari! (Well, he would have ;))

10. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

firing salo was the dumbest of all dumb decisions in the short toyota history. salo did miracles within the team and scored points with a car hardly capable of finishing races.

oh well...

11. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

When it comes to international motorsport, Ford always seem to approach it with a half arsed attitude... look at F1, WRC, BTCC, ITCC... :rolleyes: the only successful part was the Ford Cosworth DFV engine, and that's only because Ford wisely stayed out of the way letting Cosworth get on with it... as soon as Ford started meddling though :rolleyes:

I read recently, it's because they lack an international motorsport division like Mercedes or BMW have, and only have small localised divisions that don't have either the budgets, support or personnel to be fully competitive.

As for Toyota... proves a budget means nothing... although McLaren demonstrated that perfectly as well this season :p They suffered from having poor management structure, Mike Gascoyne will sort that out and drivers who lacked high end development experience... Schu Jr and Trulli will sort that as well.

12. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

official then... Honda now own 45% of BAR (that'll increase in the next 12 months) and Dave Richards has gone... (I think they may regret that, not next season but in the future).

Talk about backing people into a corner... :eek:

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=31606

I bet Button's pleased :p