Honest question about CD copy protection

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Rend It, Aug 21, 2004.

1. Rend It macrumors 6502

Oct 27, 2003
    United States
    Hi all,

First, let me make it clear that I'm not a pirate. But, I have recently purchased MATLAB student version and came to find out that the program requires the install CD to be in the drive anytime I want to use it. I have a Powerbook G4, and I hate the idea of lugging around the CD wherever I go. Besides, if anything happens to the CD, the Mathworks gives you a million hoops to jump through if you want a replacement.

So, I initially tried to make a disk image using the Disk Utility in Panther, but the Utility repeatedly gave an error message. So, then I just tried to make a backup CD, both on my Powerbook and on a PC. Again failure. While I was on the PC, I discovered that there are a ton of freeware programs available for Windows to circumvent the copy protection. Some allow you to emulate the CD on the hard disk, while others simply allow you to make backup CDs. Evidently, this sort of issue is a big deal to PC gamers.

After more searching, I found out that the copy protection that my CD uses is called SafeDisc V2, by Macrovision. And there are ways to get around this particular protection scheme on a PC (SafeDiscV2 Explained). So, my question is this: Is there any way to get around the CD protection on my Powerbook? If so, how do I go about doing it? As I said, I only want to make a backup CD, or be able to use a disk image of the CD on the HD. Disk Utility seems to be helpless under the SafeDisc algorithm. Any help is greatly appreciated.

-Rend It
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    try to make a disc image with Toast, it seems to make images of cds that Disk Utility cannot....
  3. Duff-Man macrumors 68030

Dec 26, 2002
    Albuquerque, NM
    Duff-Man says...sorry I don't have an answer as it has never come up for me. But it looks to me like the perfect example of someone with a legitimate need for a backup getting shafted because of the lowlifes that insist on pirating spoiling it for the legit users...so much for their "I would not have bought anyway it so harm done" excuse that we hear all too often. I hate to advise any kind of deception, but what if you just "jump through the hoops" and get the "replacement".....oh yeah! (oh, and [/rant])