Honeymoon in Norway (or Scandanavia), suggestions?

Discussion in 'Community' started by toaster_oven, May 15, 2005.

1. toaster_oven macrumors regular

Jun 7, 2003
    not sure
    my fiancé and I are planning our honeymoon; I had suggested maybe we see the fjords in Norway... she looked up some info online and said she would really like to go... now I am faced with the daunting task of setting up a week in Norway in late August. I know there are some members that are from Norway - and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions as to what to see- where to stay, fun things to do, etc...

a little about us: we both really enjoy outdoor activities such as hiking or camping (maybe a little rafting), and we want to spend time in only a couple different places (we'd both rather just relax on our honeymoon because our jobs are fast-paced and stressful)... We also might want to spend some time in another city... maybe Stockholm or Helsinki (I don't know much about Oslo), but we only have a week so we might just hang out in Norway. We want to see "natural wonders" more so than hang out in a city, though. (I will probably drag her along to see some interesting traditional buildings and work by famous modern architects, but have been told this is "not your personal architecture tour" ;)).

We have been looking at lonely planet and their recommendations... the Jutunheimen National Park sounds really nice, and there was a train tour that sounded rather interesting...

are there any events happening around there in late august? any other places worth visiting?

do enough people speak english for us to get around? (we are both willing to pick up some norwegian if not)

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

2. Dr.Gargoyle macrumors 65816

Oct 8, 2004
    lat: 55.7222°N, long: 13.1971°E
    Not from Norway but the neighboring country. Hurtigrutten could be a great idea. http://www.hurtigrutten.com/
    It is a boat that travels along the Norweigian coast.
    Just rememeber that during the summer, the light is on more or less 24/7 :p