Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Honeywell today unveiled two indoor security cameras and confirmed plans to add HomeKit to its Lyric Security system at CES 2017 in Las Vegas.

The semi-cylindrical Lyric C1 camera captures 720p video at 30 FPS with a 135-degree viewing angle, while the circular Lyric C2 camera records in 1080p at 30 FPS and has a 138-degree viewing angle. Both models have a built-in speaker and microphone for two-way audio functionality.

honeywell-lyric-c1-c2-cameras.jpg
Honeywell's new Lyric C2 (left) and Lyric C1 (right) home security cameras

Like other smart home security cameras, including the just-announced D-Link Omna 180 Cam HD and Canary's All-in-One Home Security System and Camera, the Lyric C1 and Lyric C2 let homeowners monitor their homes while they are away for extra peace of mind, with both motion and noise detection.

The free Honeywell Lyric app enables users to control and view a live stream of their Lyric cameras with an iPhone or iPad. When the camera detects motion or certain sounds, users will receive notifications directly on their devices to get a bird's eye view of what's happening in their homes. Screenshots are also available.

The cameras have wired power and connect to a home's Wi-Fi network to provide live streaming at all times. Recordings can be saved locally to an 8GB SD card included with every Lyric C1 and C2 camera, even if the home's Wi-Fi is not working. Free cloud storage per day is also included, with 7- and 30-day upgrades available.

Honeywell said the new Lyric cameras will be available within the first three months of 2017. Pricing was not disclosed.

honeywell-lyric-security.jpg

Meanwhile, the Lyric Home Security and Control System, originally launched in 2016, will receive a software update with HomeKit support within the first three months of 2017, enabling homeowners to control the system using Siri voice commands or Apple's new Home app on iOS 10.

The Lyric Home Security and Control System is a pro-installed security monitoring system with a 7-inch touchscreen and built-in camera. If a Lyric sensor or motion detector detects an unusual situation, the system will provide visual and audible notifications and send alerts to a paired iPhone or iPad.

Article Link: CES 2017: Honeywell Debuts Two Home Security Cameras, Adding HomeKit to Lyric Security System

Corrode

macrumors 65816
Dec 26, 2008
Calgary, AB
Wow, SO many products with HomeKit compatibility. 2017 is the year HomeKit finally comes around. Though I still have yet to need any IoT things beyond a thermostat.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Pricing was not disclosed.
Seems like a lot of these new HomeKit accessories aren't listing prices. Too expensive? At least they're making them. When I bought my new home this summer, I only bought HomeKit compatible accessories. This means I didn't buy a whole lot, lol, but I'm glad that I was patient. I'm looking forward to expanding my automation system throughout 2017!

I'm also hoping to see a more fully integrated security system solution that is HomeKit compatible. Our home came with an ADT system but I don't want to pay that high monthly cost. Something that taps into some loud alarms both inside and outside and has a central base station with cellular modem that calls the police and sends me a notification would be nice. I also don't need a separate cloud storage solution for cameras. If it detects activity, record it, and either stick it in my Dropbox or send it to a drive on my local network. Even having a hardened secure casing with micro SD cards or non-removable internal storage mounted up high would probably be enough. Just use an app to get the video off of it.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
Shame there is no night vision.

Excellent point. And that's a make it or break it depending on where you plan on using the cameras, what angle and where in the household.

I actually plan on investing in Nest cameras in the next month or so. But definitely keeping my eye out for new products offering similarities.

runeapple

macrumors 6502a
Mar 5, 2010
Wow, SO many products with HomeKit compatibility. 2017 is the year HomeKit finally comes around. Though I still have yet to need any IoT things beyond a thermostat.

I'm glad here in the UK there is very little choice, we've only just got homekit mains plugs, after the US had like 6 choices! We now have an option of 1.

So far I have a homekit mains plug for my lamp, homekit light bulbs and a homekit motion sensor - the more I can control from the same place there better in my eyes :)

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Yesss! So happy to hear this. I was literally just about to purchase the Honeywell Lyric Security System and leave stinking Comcast Xfinity Home for good. Even better that this is all going to be activated over a simple software download on the existing system! This will perfectly compliment my existing HomeKit Honeywell Lyric Round thermostats.

Also, this coupled with the Chamberlain announcement finally means my entire home of smart devices will now be 100% fully HomeKit enabled. Great year for tech so far! :D:D:D
[doublepost=1483642436][/doublepost]
I'm also hoping to see a more fully integrated security system solution that is HomeKit compatible. Our home came with an ADT system but I don't want to pay that high monthly cost. Something that taps into some loud alarms both inside and outside and has a central base station with cellular modem that calls the police and sends me a notification would be nice.

Yep. I'm looking into signing up with Alarmgrid as they are a pioneering DIY security system that has call monitoring service. They're are other DIY alarm services too you should look at. But they sell the Lyric and was just about to go with them and leave Comcast.

Last edited:

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
Seems like a lot of these new HomeKit accessories aren't listing prices. Too expensive? At least they're making them. When I bought my new home this summer, I only bought HomeKit compatible accessories. This means I didn't buy a whole lot, lol, but I'm glad that I was patient. I'm looking forward to expanding my automation system throughout 2017!

I'm also hoping to see a more fully integrated security system solution that is HomeKit compatible. Our home came with an ADT system but I don't want to pay that high monthly cost. Something that taps into some loud alarms both inside and outside and has a central base station with cellular modem that calls the police and sends me a notification would be nice. I also don't need a separate cloud storage solution for cameras. If it detects activity, record it, and either stick it in my Dropbox or send it to a drive on my local network. Even having a hardened secure casing with micro SD cards or non-removable internal storage mounted up high would probably be enough. Just use an app to get the video off of it.
Yesss! So happy to hear this. I was literally just about to purchase the Honeywell Lyric Security System and leave stinking Comcast Xfinity Home for good. Even better that this is all going to be activated over a simple software download on the existing system! This will perfectly compliment my existing HomeKit Honeywell Lyric Round thermostats.

Also, this coupled with the Chamberlain announcement finally means my entire home of smart devices will now be 100% fully HomeKit enabled. Great year for tech so far! :D:D:D

Yep. I'm looking into signing up with Alarmgrid as they are a pioneering DIY security system that has call monitoring service. They're are other DIY alarm services too you should look at. But they sell the Lyric and was just about to go with them and leave Comcast.

Both of you should check out an Alarm.com authorize dealer. Alarm.com system is wayyyy ahead of Homekit or any other system that's out.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
On Second thought, the fact that this is HomeKit compatible is most likely a better product than what I have right now. Definitely want a HomeKit products launching this year in expanding.

drewcovi

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2015
Excellent point. And that's a make it or break it depending on where you plan on using the cameras, what angle and where in the household.

I actually plan on investing in Nest cameras in the next month or so. But definitely keeping my eye out for new products offering similarities.

Both have night vision...

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
Both of you should check out an Alarm.com authorize dealer. Alarm.com system is wayyyy ahead of Homekit or any other system that's out.

Interesting but I've been doing some research and I can't find any mention of any of their devices being HomeKit compatible. I then just came across an article back in september where they addressed that HomeKit is targeted towards the DIY market, which alarm.com is not.

I'm open to suggestions but it does seem HomeKit is indeed targeted towards the DIY user which is why the Lyric so far is only being sold through those services. And HomeKit is the deal breaker for me. No HomeKit, no go.

azulon1

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2016

So good sir, apparently Honeywell has their own system? Their own monitoring service? I don't get all this. Does ADT sell Honeywell lyric. If I get Honeywell lyric, how is it different from being tied to adt.
[doublepost=1483693982][/doublepost]

If you have ADT with like a million door/window sensors. Can alarmgrid or Honeywell tap into them and make use of them. Or is it a brand new start?

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
So good sir, apparently Honeywell has their own system? Their own monitoring service? I don't get all this. Does ADT sell Honeywell lyric. If I get Honeywell lyric, how is it different from being tied to adt.

[doublepost=1483693982][/doublepost]

I know this is the company's sales pitch, but you should check this page from alarm grid to see their argument and explanation on DIY alarm company versus a traditional alarm company which controls all the setup for the user:

https://www.alarmgrid.com/alarmgrid-vs-adt

But no, ADT does not sell the Lyric. You have to go through a DIY alarm company to get the Lyric as far as I know. I myself have always been a customer of these traditional security companies. I started with ADT and am now with Comcast. I have just recently begun learning about these new DIY alarm security companies which are fairly new to the market and so, in turn, don't also have the years of experience as these bigger companies do, so that might affect your choice. But the Lyric system looks so good with it's HomeKit support that I'm deciding to switch over. Also because I've not had that much of a good experience with Comcast and I'll end up saving money with a lower monthly bill if I switch.

However, I've learned that it works by you shopping and choosing which hardware you want (as sold through their website), you install the systems yourself, and in effect, you pay a lower monthly, don't pay installation costs, or have any cancellation fees. And I've read that the Lyric security system is very easy to install.

There is still a central monitoring station that costs a bit extra a month to have the authorities contacted in case of a break in, just like any other traditional security company.

If you have ADT with like a million door/window sensors. Can alarmgrid or Honeywell tap into them and make use of them. Or is it a brand new start?

I know. I have a million door/window sensors too. I think the Lyric requires its own set of Lyric sensors, but not 100% sure on that. You can try asking alarmgrid customer support about it, which ive found to be really fast and helpful.

Last edited:
Reactions: macosxuser01

macosxuser01

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2006
Sacramento, CA
AlarmGrid is cool because it's DIY w/professional monitoring and Alarm.com interactive services. And if you just want to self-monitor (No UL Monitoring) it with Alarm.com interactive services it's only $25 a month! That's cheap.
If I were you though I would get 2GIG GoControl (GC3 is nice too but pricey). It's the easiest panel to learn and program new equipment.

Reactions: Icaras

azulon1

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2016

I have a serious question about alarmgrid. They have a bronze monitoring service plan which says you can't access your security system for arm and disarm from outside the house using your phone, you need silver plan for that. Will homekit allow you to arm and disarm the system? Therefore you can do it from wherever you want if you have an Apple tv while staying on the bronze plan? Please I want to get alarmgrid so help me out buddy.

Icaras

macrumors 603
Mar 18, 2008
AlarmGrid is cool because it's DIY w/professional monitoring and Alarm.com interactive services. And if you just want to self-monitor (No UL Monitoring) it with Alarm.com interactive services it's only $25 a month! That's cheap.
If I were you though I would get 2GIG GoControl (GC3 is nice too but pricey). It's the easiest panel to learn and program new equipment.

But does any of the 2GIG controllers support HomeKit? Thanks for the info, but I really want HomeKit in my system.

I have a serious question about alarmgrid. They have a bronze monitoring service plan which says you can't access your security system for arm and disarm from outside the house using your phone, you need silver plan for that. Will homekit allow you to arm and disarm the system? Therefore you can do it from wherever you want if you have an Apple tv while staying on the bronze plan? Please I want to get alarmgrid so help me out buddy.

This is the dream of course. I want to be able to control the Lyric simply by swiping up on the Control Center or using the Home app. Honestly, I don't know for sure and I don't think any of us will until Honeywell issues the HomeKit update. But I honestly don't see why not? That is, in essence the functionality of HomeKit; to be able to control all those supported devices through one app as well as Siri, and also remotely via the Apple TV. So I can't say for sure because I don't own yet, but its my guess you'll be able to control remotely via Apple TV.

At the very least, you still have basic remote control via their app Total Connect 2.0.

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
stalk and you shall find.

So you answer with the cameras have night vision and I ask for a source from you and reply with "Stalk and you shall find."

That's a poorly executed response, being you made a claim and failed To back it up. Respond with facts.

Last edited:
Reactions: Icaras

Drakenvlucht

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2015
Florida
So you answer with the cameras have night vision and I ask for a source from you and reply with "Stalk and you shall find."

That's a poorly executed response, being you made a claim and failed To back it up. Respond with facts.

Indeed a poor response. But just search and you should have found...
https://yourhome.honeywell.com/lyric-c1-wifi-security-camera

Although Hoewel shows it is for pre-order only, it seems you can by it on Amazon already.One thing I noted at Honeywells FAQ was the following line... the Lyric C1 works on a 2.4GHz network only.

drewcovi

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2015
Indeed a poor response. But just search and you should have found...
https://yourhome.honeywell.com/lyric-c1-wifi-security-camera

Although Hoewel shows it is for pre-order only, it seems you can by it on Amazon already.One thing I noted at Honeywells FAQ was the following line... the Lyric C1 works on a 2.4GHz network only.

Yes. Apologies. I was in a bit of a strange mood that day. Googling my username would have turned up my LinkedIn which I figured spoke for itself.

Suffice to say we're following all the same blogs you are. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.