Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kidchop92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2014
Hi All

Has the looks of the phone pulled anybody in? Personally I'm going for the blue.

Honor 8 - First Impressions by YouTubers!

It seems a lot of Youtubers are impressed by how comfortable the phone sits in you hand. I've just cancelled my back order of the oneplus 3 and looking to switch from the iPhone 6s Plus. The Honor 8 ticks the following boxes when compared to Oneplus / iPhone

Pro's

1. 5.2" Screen perfect for one handed use
2. Expandable memory up-to 256GB
3. Comparable specks to Flapship (Scores over 6000 on multi-core geekbench)
4. Good camera - Dual Lens
5. Best looking phone
6. Rear Finger-print / multi-function button
7. USB C / Fast Charge
8. IR Blaster
9. UK / USA official store discount for pre-orders

Con's

1. Skin EMUI
2. No 4K Video
3. Not 2K Res

For me the Con's are a small compromise for a $400 / £350 phone, is anybody else looking to preorder on 24.08.2016 - https://www.vmall.eu/uk/
[doublepost=1471898878][/doublepost]
Honor-8-20-1440x960.jpg

Honor-8-13-1440x960.jpg

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Between the OP3, Axon 7 and Honor 8 for me.

I hope Best Buy puts the latter two out on display, there is always the return policy but now coupled with a $35 restocking fee.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Can't seem to buy in Europe yet other than HK import missing most LTE Bands. Do they intend to sell it outside of USA and the Far East ?

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I think I'd be embarrassed to have that huge HONOR logo plastered on the front of my phone like that, makes me feel like I'm in a 80's VanDamme movie.

Reactions: Oohara

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I saw some comments on it saying people would be afraid to use it due to security concerns in reference to Chinese spying and hacking. Is that really a legitimate concern?

I know people post the craziest comments on different tech sites so I never know what to make of some of the remarks. I have seen some comments about iOS that make me wonder sometimes what people put in their coffee besides sugar. :confused:

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
They make good phones but their Android skin is like iOS, a launcher is a must. I had the 5x, great phone and the fingerprint scanner was very fast and reliable

Sensamic

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2010
Between the OP3, Axon 7 and Honor 8 for me.

I hope Best Buy puts the latter two out on display, there is always the return policy but now coupled with a $35 restocking fee.
Mostly same here, but ruled out OnePlus 3 due to the AMOLED pentile screen, which makes it look worse than a traditional 1080P screen.

But I would hate missing on 4K video recording.

kidchop92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2014
Can't seem to buy in Europe yet other than HK import missing most LTE Bands. Do they intend to sell it outside of USA and the Far East ?

https://www.vmall.eu/uk/

I think pre-orders go live tomorrow

They make good phones but their Android skin is like iOS, a launcher is a must. I had the 5x, great phone and the fingerprint scanner was very fast and reliable

Most reviews say install Nova launcher? I've never had Android so won't bother me as much

Mostly same here, but ruled out OnePlus 3 due to the AMOLED pentile screen, which makes it look worse than a traditional 1080P screen.

But I would hate missing on 4K video recording.

Hopefully they bring 4K in a future update but not certain

Reactions: MRU

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Instead of honor I'd rather it says donor like on my driver's license.

Kidding aside, aesthetics wise it looks better than the typical cheap looking aluminum phones with ugly c-section lines and spray on finish but there's much more to a phone than just aesthetics that can only be discovered from actual use.

AppleRobert

macrumors 603
Nov 12, 2012
Well I had the Honor 5x but opted for the OP X for the same price at BB and got quick delivery too.

I rather see the Honor 8 on display before I buy it but that probably will not happen. The Honor 5x on amazon has a good following and very good reviews so will see what the 8 brings to the table. I really did not mind the Honor 5x for the price but I did feel the OP X was the better buy.

kidchop92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2014
Sadly it's still not a very common feature on midrange phones.

For me, I barely use my camera / video. I'm more of a guy who stays in the moment and wishes he had taken a photo / video haha

This is probably the best review of the phone, check it out.

You can see the beauty of the phone ... and at the same time some of ugly. Never the less, its perfect for me

*Edit*

Check out this guy showing some of the best features

Does the black look better than Blue now ????

kidchop92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2014
I'm very tempted ...

I'm based in the UK and every other market has this phone. Just ordered from Amazon Germany for £360 with delivery for Saturday.

Also have a preorder with vmall for 15/09 but will cancel

Everyday I YouTube Honor 8, I must have it now!

UAV

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2015
this is my opinion but i think it's the best 400 phone right now. great look good specs.
[doublepost=1472524739][/doublepost]
They beat Apple to the "deep blue" :D

But seriously, I would love a blue iPhone!
actually apple will be releasing a blue iphone for 2017 and all the apple minions will say how magical and innovative they are lol...

kidchop92

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 11, 2014
I was too until I saw how messy the notifications panel was and other parts of the UI. Huawei makes changes too drastic.
They made a statement saying you get 2years software support. Also EMUI 5.0 is out soon which will make it feel more stock android. I think it's worth it like with most phones there are some compromises
[doublepost=1472538292][/doublepost]
this is my opinion but i think it's the best 400 phone right now. great look good specs.
[doublepost=1472524739][/doublepost]
actually apple will be releasing a blue iphone for 2017 and all the apple minions will say how magical and innovative they are lol...

I've ordered the blue so can't wait to show the minions haha

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
They made a statement saying you get 2years software support. Also EMUI 5.0 is out soon which will make it feel more stock android. I think it's worth it like with most phones there are some compromises
Props to Huawei for going closer to stock, but I still feel like if you're OnePlus or Huawei, why not just go straight stock? Go straight stock, make a launcher available and integrate the device features into the OS to differentiate.

mclld

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2012
Huawei's skin looks like ios, iphone users would like it but not a chance for people who prefer android. No app drawer is the worst offender but it is nothing a launcher cant fix

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
Huawei's skin looks like ios, iphone users would like it but not a chance for people who prefer android. No app drawer is the worst offender but it is nothing a launcher cant fix
I actually like the look of it. Even with the S7 & S7e I opted to have no app drawer via the labs feature. The similarity in approach to iOS aesthetically is actually the biggest selling point for me. It's like the continuity of design mixed with Google's services which I find enticing.

Reactions: AppleRobert
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.