Hook up Macbook to HDTV

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gillilandboy, Nov 28, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502

I have a Macbook black and I would like to hook it up to my HDTV. I have HDMI component, S-Video and normal video out on the HDTV. I don't mind buying any cables or anything. If anyone knows how to do this and could help me out that would be great.

Thanks.

2. macrumors 6502

I could be wrong but you'll need 2 adapters

mini DVI - DVI adapter and then a DVI - HDMI adapter.

3. macrumors 68020

kkat69

Yep, probably so.

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...947&node=home/shop_mac/mac_accessories/cables

Has them listed.

Unsure if they have the correct ends, etc. If they don't you can probably find the proper dvi to hdmi cable on cablestogo.com

But the quoted post is correct.

4. macrumors 6502

Google "DVI to HDMI cable".

Also, you'll find there are other threads covering this topic on these forums.

5. Guest

MacBooks use Mini-DVI though. :)

6. macrumors 68020

JML42691

Buy the mini-DVI to DVI adapter, then buy the DVI to HDMI cable, both are offered by Apple's website for $19 and that way you only have 2 parts and not 3. Total cost would be $38 before tax.

7. macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Yeah, mini-DVI -> DVI and DVI -> HDMI is definitely the way to go. I don't think they have mini-DVI adapters, but www.monoprice.com is the place to get most adapters and cables, including DVI -> HDMI. I got that adapter there for like $3.50 and it has worked flawlessly for me.

8. macrumors 6502a

What about audio? What cable is needed to hook up to optical on a receiver?

9. macrumors regular

Optical? Nahh, all you need is a mini-plug to RCA "Y" cable.

I don't even think you could get from audio out on your 'book to optical in on your receiver....

10. macrumors 6502a

Nevermind, I found out.

MacBooks do have optical out, it's on the headphone jack. You just need a mini-TOSlink adapter.

11. macrumors 65816

Of course you can get optical out. Just plug in a headphone jack style Toslink cable, the other end goes into receiver and OS X should adjust itself accordingly. Worst case scenario, you have to go into the System Preferences to tell it to output optical.

12. macrumors G5

Consultant

optical audio output adapter

If you want to output optical audio, you need an adapter for the Mini-optical output, usually to toslink. I have some extras. $6 shipped in the US.

13. macrumors member

Picture quality

If you connect your macbook to the HDMI connection on your HDTV, will there be any difference in picture quality than if you connect to your VGA connection? I have many connection options on my HDTV and am wondering if there is any difference is all. Thanks.

14. macrumors regular

This is what I use....
    I've spent hundreds of dollars here....fantastic store.
    http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10231&cs_id=1023104&p_id=2404&seq=1&format=2

Right now, I'm using my 32" westinghouse as my monitor.... 1024x768... looks great.

VGA is analog, therefore not really HD (unless you are using a digital source like RGB/HV)

Plus, it is really hard to get VGA to show properly in 16x9 ... both the computer and the TV recognize each other properly and it looks amazing on my TV using that DVI to HDMI cable.

15. macrumors regular

can someone give me a link for the correct audio cord to use.

16. macrumors regular

<----- IDIOT. Don't mind me.......learned something new today! ;-)

17. macrumors 68000

iEdd

So can anyone actually confirm what the DVI end of the adaptor looks like? It seems like noone actually owns one.

This image shows that it has a dual link DVI-D port. [​IMG]

I am worried though, because wikipedia and comments on the apple store say that it doesn't support dual link. I've already ordered a dual link DVI-D cable to connect to it.

Can someone PLEASE confirm what sort of cable it is?

Apple are ****ing useless in that they don't give any specifications and just say "DVI".

EDIT: This site says it's 1x24 pin female, so maybe it just has dual link pins but doesn't support dual link monitors?

18. macrumors 68000

thechidz

I ran mini dvi-dvi then dvi-hdmi when I had a macbook worked great.

Now I just run dvi-hdmi on my macbook pro:)

19. macrumors 68000

iEdd

So does your cable look exactly like the picture above?

20. macrumors 68000

thechidz

yep

21. macrumors 6502

OK, so it looks like we're set for the video connection : mini-dvi to dvi adapter + dvi to hdmi cable.

For the sound, it will be a toslink adapter to optical plug in the HDTV.

Now, what about the resolution ? How do you have to setup your MacBook to get the best result on your 32" HD Ready TV (native resolution being 1366x768) ?

I bought my MacBook in August 2006, does it really have that optical output for the sound ?

I will need long cables to link that to my HDTV (15ft), but my setup could be awesome if it could work :p

22. macrumors 6502

Is the toslink cable interesting when you just plug it from your macbook to your hdtv, and not to an amplifier ? Will the quality be much better than a jack to RCA cable ?

I don't have any sound system right now, the sound will only come out my Sony Bravia KDL-32D3000.

Thanks for your help.

23. macrumors newbie

I am trying to connect to a receiver also to listen through my speakers and watch on my new 32" LCD. Any advice?

24. macrumors newbie

25. macrumors 68000

iEdd

That's cool. I hope a Mini DisplayPort to HDMI comes out soon, and can carry audio.