Hooking macbook pro to tv...

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jaqen, Dec 10, 2006.

1. Jaqen macrumors member

I have a new macbook pro and want to hook it up to my tv for a second monitor or whatever. Anyways, I have no clue what cables I needs. My brother has a s-video port on his powerbook and uses that just fine but I have a dvi (or mini-dvi? whatever...). Been looking around but can't find a connector that converts it to r/y/g to hook it to my tv (old tv, so don't have any of those high-def connections).

I've been looking around and the closest I can find is this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16814999903

But that's only for hdtv I believe.

Thanks.

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

What you need is the "Apple DVI to Video Adapter". Links direct to the Apple store don't work well, but do a search on that name and it should come right up; runs about $20.

Plugs into the full-size DVI port on your MBP on one end, then has kind of a chunky box with a yellow "RCA" style video out as well as an SVideo out, if you want. I've got one in my travel bag right now so I can watch video from my MBP on a hotel TV.

Remember that if you want sound out you're also going to need to get an minipug-RCA adapter for the sound output; they sell those at any Radio Shack, and you can almost certainly find one in most "drug" stores, too--Walgreens, Rite Aid, Longs, KMart, etc.