Hooking my guitar up to MacBook

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by arodvb, Oct 17, 2008.

1. macrumors newbie

Jul 11, 2008
    Picking up a new MacBook tomorrow, I'm a guitar player so I'd like to do some recording in GarageBand. I'm a bit confused by how to actually hook it up. My amp has a line out, so would it be easiest to just go from the line out on the amp, to line in on the MacBook?
  2. macrumors member

Aug 2, 2008
    I suppose your method may work, but the thing I would do is either; invest in a quality microphone, and record in Garageband through microphone recording, or use the built-in-microphone. Anyway, hope I helped :)
  3. macrumors newbie

Aug 9, 2008
    If you wanna start recording something, i suggest you get a preamp. If you're gonna start to get serious about it, you can get an effect program. Guitar Rig 3 is the best in this situation.

Preamps can get really costly, but those are always the highest quality ones. First pick whether you want a USB interface or FireWire interface. FireWire usually has no lag, and sounds better, but costs more.

Low budget, you can go with a USB M-Audio JamLab for about $80, or MobilePre for about $180
    High budget, I suggest a FireWire 410, or even a NRV10, which is a complete mixing board, 6 channels with complete EQ, firewire output, but $900

I've only mentioned M-Audio hardware because those have always worked best with me, but you if you want to search for a different brand or a cheaper price, just search for "USB Preamp" or "FireWire Preamp"
  4. macrumors regular

Jan 8, 2006
    Steve Jobs has already picked for him. :D
  5. macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2007
    Forget FireWire if you are buying the new MacBook..
  6. macrumors 68000

Jul 30, 2008
    Vancouver, BC & Sydney, NSW
    I'd go for something from Line 6 if I were you. They start at under $100 and go up from there. Bonus is they're USB so you can use them on a new MB.
  7. macrumors 65816

Jul 29, 2005
    NI Guitar Rig 3 with that great pedal/audio interface or NI Guitar Rig Session would work for you.
  8. macrumors newbie

Aug 9, 2008
    Yeah, and even without the pedals and stuff, guitar rig's still definitely a great addition
  9. macrumors member

Oct 15, 2008
    I've been using a borrowed M-Audio Black Box, it's a fun little toy and it's USB. If you opt out of the software it comes with (probably Pro Tools) it's pretty cheap.
  10. macrumors 604

Dec 31, 2004
    "No escape from Reality..."
    Here we go...

Our Worship Pastor uses (used...) an M-Audio Box with just 1 input and uses a high quality mic. I know others use a pickup.

We used to record sermons on a Mini, and used a Lexicon Omega box via USB. It has balanced XLR inputs. It also worked great in Garageband and you will need a USB audio box such as this in order to hook it up to a new MacBook.

Our Worship Pastor is getting a new MacBook and obviously has to use the Omega box instead of his old M-Audio one...