Hooking My VCR to my Powermac Help!!

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by doucy2, Oct 23, 2005.

1. doucy2 macrumors 65816

doucy2

Ok nothin of urgancy but i am wondering how i can hook my toshiba vcr to my powermac g4 in my sig so i can copy some vhs's to my hd and burn then to dvd
    any help is appreciated

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

You have a number of options.

First, if you have a camcorder with Digital video out and analog in, you can use it to transfer from the VCR to the Mac. Older camcorders (like mine) don't allow both interfaces to be used at one time, so I need to tape the VCR tape onto a DV tape, then transfer that DV tape to the Mac.

There are various analog->digital converter boxes out there as well. HOWEVER, the cheaper ones tend to have the audio drift out of sync with the video on longer segments, so beware.

There are also, I think, dedicated cards for this, but then, if you buy a different Mac, you might not be able to use the card, whereas the external solutions are not going to be a problem.

3. doucy2 thread starter macrumors 65816

doucy2

links to any of the stuf you are talking about in options 2 or 3

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I don't own any, so Googling "analog digital converter Mac" will tell you all I could. I know there were some threads in MR about this, as I was thinking of buying myself one earlier and haven't yet.

Edit: But, given that the good ones run ~US$300 or so, it might not be insane to buy a cheap camcorder with analog->digital passthrough.

5. Kobushi macrumors 6502a

Kobushi

This is how I've done it since I no longer have my G3 iMac DV :(

Basically, I run a 3-way RCA to mini cable/converter from my VCR to the input on my Sony Handycam. Then I run the DV to Firewire cable from my camcorder to my mac. I can use either iMovie or Final Cut to capture and it works okay.

I've also heard of PCI cards that have RCA or S-Video inputs right on 'em.

6. doucy2 thread starter macrumors 65816

doucy2

i found this thing from Belkin that looks like it will work
    thx for all the input guys