Hooking the 12" pBook up to a TV?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by JSRockit, Feb 6, 2003.

1. JSRockit macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

Ok...I'm feeling a little stupid in regards to this, but I figured I'd ask and get it over with. If I want to hook up my 12" pBook to my TV for use as a DVD player...I should use the adapter that came with my pBook. However, the adapter has a S-Video, which my TV doesn't have...and one yellow video out. How do I use that. I am used to hooking things up using the red, white, and yellow AV cables. Do I need a cable that splits the one yellow into the red, white, and yellow AV cable I'm used to? or something different? Please help. Thanks.

2. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

I was thnking of geting the twelve AlBook also, and thought about this too.

The adapter with the s-video and yellow RCA plug is for video signal only.

You will need a cable with red and white RCA's on one end, and a headphone jack on the other. Hook the headphone jack end into your headphone jack on the Mac and the RCA plugs in your TV

Walla!!

3. JSRockit thread starter macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

Oh...ok...I uderstand that...that is weird.

4. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Yea, wierd huh? See the old iBook's lacked monitor out but A/V out was simple, all in one plug...ha...

5. iconrad macrumors member

Attached Files:

6. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

7. JSRockit thread starter macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

8. iconrad macrumors member

I'm sorry but I don't understand why it wouldn't work with your 12" power book. You have the s-Video converter and the audio out for headphones... can you please explain why this wouldn't work. Thanks

9. JSRockit thread starter macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

Good point...I wasn't thinking about the adapter plus this...hummm...maybe we have a solution. Let me gets this right...S-Video into my adapter plugged into my 12" pBook...1/8th in the head phone jack...everything else connected to my TV...am I getting this now?

10. iconrad macrumors member

I think that will work... if only you didn't have to have so many converters and cables. :rolleyes:

11. JSRockit thread starter macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

Yeah...there are very inexpensive ways to do this as well....but that cable is NICE!

12. Gus macrumors 65816

Gus

That cable does not have S-Video connectors. It has the RCA jack connector for the video, which is still no problem. Just connect that into the yellow jack on your adapter. Piece of cake!

Regards,
    Gus

edit: I take it all back.

13. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Man the Clamshell iBooks were so much easier, haha, good luck, if the wire is out of your price range go to Radio Shack, they will tell you what you need. :-D

14. iconrad macrumors member

Quoted from Monster Cable

If it doesn't have S-video then why dose the web page say it dose... if it really isn't S-video can you give me a link or a picture of an S-video connection. Thanks

15. JSRockit thread starter macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

Why is it called S Video Adapter then?

16. LimeiBook86 macrumors 604

LimeiBook86

Oddly enough the S-Video connection is exactly the same as the ADB wire, remember Apple's old keyboard and mouse wires? It looks the same.

17. iconrad macrumors member

Quoted form Apple

The Cable in question was originally made for the Ti Book. Hear is a picture form apples ADC web site. If you look at the ports on the back of the computer you will see that It says "S" in a little camera, and "out" below that. So, I am fairly sure that it is an S-video cable.

18. iconrad macrumors member

Sorry forgot the picture:

Attached Files:

19. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

That is way too expensive for some cables!!!
    You can go to Compusa or Bestbuy and get a cheaper version of it!!

P.S. iconrad, that is the wrong PowerBook!! lololololol
    :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p ;)

20. iconrad macrumors member

First, Monster Cables are the best available, so the price is worth it, in my opinion. When you go for the cables form Radio Shack and other places you are compensating quality for price... It's all a matter of what your priorities are, If you want to just connect your computer to a TV then go to Radio Shack, Bestbuy, etc. if you want quality connection that gives you the best possible picture, and ease of use, i.e. having only one cable instead of 2 or 3 then you get the Monster Cable.

Second, the PowerBook is the original Ti, as I stated in the post 3 up, not the 12" I was using the Ti as an example to show Gus that the cable on the iTV Link was an S-video.

21. mymemory macrumors 68020

mymemory

Guys listen

That is the same systems the Pismos has.

Just do not loose the s-video to rca adapter and gue one of those mini-plug to rca for the speakera.

Now, powerbooks are not the best to watch DVD's on tv, most of the time they do not take the entire screen, depending on the movie.

22. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Pump your brakes dude, I was just joking!!!

23. JSRockit thread starter macrumors 6502a

JSRockit

Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuude!!!

24. GeeYouEye macrumors 68000

GeeYouEye

I've always wondered about that one. I think I used an S-Video cable for an ADB cable once. They were both black, so I don't know if I did or not. Does anyone know if they're the same, or what would happen if you plugged an S-video device (like a camcorder) into an ADB port, (while the computer was off, of course... ADB isn't hot-pluggable) and booted up?

25. iconrad macrumors member

First off xrhajj sorry.:D

From what I can tell both apples ADB cable and S-video cable are the same. Hear are two pictures the first, should be a cream color, is a male end to apples ADB, second, should be black in color, is an male S-video cable. They both seem to have the same indents at what appears to be the bottom and top of the cables and the same number and arrangement of pins.

Attached Files: