Hooking up 5.1 Surround Sound to Mac

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by aaronb, Aug 12, 2006.

1. aaronb macrumors regular

I have a question before I dive into buying a Mac.
    I noticed that they all have a simple 1/8th inch output for speakers for every model of Mac. However, the surround sound that we have has 3 different 1/8th inch plugs (a green, black, and yellow one). How could we (if it is even possible) hook up our surround sound to our new Mac?

2. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

3. cag17 macrumors newbie

4. BeefUK macrumors member

Try this i've been searching for a solution so I can use my 5.1 speakers with my soon to be purchased macbook.

http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/firewave/

It uses a firewire port to connect to your mac, and draws power from this port to so no need for another power supply, and you can daisy chain devices through it as well which means you don't loose the use of the firewire port completey!

5. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

All new Macs come with digital optical audio output. They use the same 1/8" port. If you had speakers with digital optical input, you'd just need to get a cable with the proper adapter (I have some Philips ones that have a little clear plastic-like adapter that clips on).

As for converting your 3-plug ("6 channel direct") speakers to digital, the FireWave might work for you, I'm not sure if there are any other products out there.

6. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

Not true. Core Audio can address these devices no problem (I have a similar 4 in 4 out Audiotrak device running fine).

7. ArmchairDeity macrumors newbie

Does this mean all I need is an adapter to plug my MacBook into my Onkyo surround-sound system??

8. iflyer macrumors newbie

Yes indeed. Just need mini optical to spdif cable. can get them at www.electronix.com

9. marcdds macrumors newbie

marcdds

Firewave

I use a Firewave with my Cambridge Soundworks 5.1 speakers. the three jacks plug into the back of the Firewave. The software then controls the speakers, the surround sound. In Preference Pane, Sound - choose the Griffin Output.