Hooking up a 2nd computer (mac) and using 20 inch imac as monitor?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mjb41083, Nov 29, 2006.

1. mjb41083 macrumors newbie

I have an old G3 that I'm looking to hook up to a KVM switch and use the 20 inch iMac as the monitor.

Is this possible? Yet?

Any and all help appreciated,

Matt

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Not really because the iMac doesn't have any video inputs. There are workarounds but they're mainly slow, clumsy and expensive.

3. mufflon macrumors 6502

clickety to synergy

this might possibly work, although I don't know if you can project one comp to the other (really more "control the other comp from another comp").. .. another alternative is to use VNC (and connect with chicken of VNC), but this is pretty slow.

If you know how to hardware mod you might be able to open up the ipod and make hardware configurations, but I doubt it'l be easy =(

4. dpaanlka macrumors 601

dpaanlka

No, and will likely never be. Unless incredibly slow software solutions like VNC interests you.

5. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

And... <drumroll> ... has been asked and answered here approximately 20 times. Although the Search feature does take some getting used to, it is well to try a Search before posting a new question, coz it might not be that fresh, after all...

Welcome to MR. We don't bite, really. Well not much. Except Mad Jew, he pinches. :)

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you read my rule book carefully, I don't pinch members with my initials in their username. It's in one of the subclaws.

*Goes for another coffee break*