Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
I'm trying to hook up a 15 inch Apple LCD monitor to my new 12 inch G4 iBook. What type of adapter/cable do I need?

Thanks.

amberashby

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 6, 2003
Thanks. I guess I won't be going that route. I haven't purchased the monitor yet so would I be better off with just a VGA? What would I need to hook that up?

Thanks.

Sabbath

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
London
Originally posted by amberashby
Thanks. I guess I won't be going that route. I haven't purchased the monitor yet so would I be better off with just a VGA? What would I need to hook that up?

Thanks.

You should have a vga cable in your iBook box, so just plug in and go. And if you dont know theres a hack to enable monitor spanning on the iBooks, just search the forum for it, although it will void your warranty.

I wanted to do the same thing with my 20" ACD, but I ended up just upgrading to a 12" PB instead. Its cheaper than buying that adapter.

Finiksa

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2003
Australia
Originally posted by Sabbath And if you dont know theres a hack to enable monitor spanning on the iBooks, just search the forum for it, although it will void your warranty.
Whether or not it would void your warranty is highly debatable .

Apple could only claim the warranty void if the hack were the cause of any fault. For instance they couldn't deny a hard drive repair because of it.

The hack only alters the pre-existing open firmware property "graphic-options", which you could do manually anyway. I don't see how altering an eight digit number can void your warranty, This firmware patch is completely reversible not to mention quite obscure so I doubt Apple would even discover the change during a repair.

So if you're considering using the patch which is avaliable here, go ahead it can easily be removed.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.