Hooking up a ADC monitor to a G4 iBook. What cable do I need?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by amberashby, Jan 24, 2004.

1. amberashby macrumors 6502

I'm trying to hook up a 15 inch Apple LCD monitor to my new 12 inch G4 iBook. What type of adapter/cable do I need?

Thanks.

2. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Gefen VGA to ADC Conversion Box $299
    There may be other similar brands but they'll all be about the same price.

3. amberashby thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. I guess I won't be going that route. I haven't purchased the monitor yet so would I be better off with just a VGA? What would I need to hook that up?

Thanks.

4. Sabbath macrumors 6502a

Sabbath

You should have a vga cable in your iBook box, so just plug in and go. And if you dont know theres a hack to enable monitor spanning on the iBooks, just search the forum for it, although it will void your warranty.

I wanted to do the same thing with my 20" ACD, but I ended up just upgrading to a 12" PB instead. Its cheaper than buying that adapter.

5. Finiksa macrumors 6502a

Finiksa

Whether or not it would void your warranty is highly debatable .

Apple could only claim the warranty void if the hack were the cause of any fault. For instance they couldn't deny a hard drive repair because of it.

The hack only alters the pre-existing open firmware property "graphic-options", which you could do manually anyway. I don't see how altering an eight digit number can void your warranty, This firmware patch is completely reversible not to mention quite obscure so I doubt Apple would even discover the change during a repair.

So if you're considering using the patch which is avaliable here, go ahead it can easily be removed.