Hooking up a DVD player to a computer

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by scem0, Nov 28, 2003.

1. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I just bought a DVD player (link that I wanted to use as my speakers for my computer. I can't get the speakers to output the sounds the compuer should be making, but I can get the DVD player to play a CD I put in it. I haven't gotten to fool around with it much though.

So, basically, I was wondering how I could listen to the computer sounds through my DVD player and the speakers connected to it. And also, is there a way to watch dvds on my computer via the DVD player?

Thanks for any help.

scem0

2. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

I dont think you can do that unless it has dual audio outputs....since you have to connect your computer to your stereo, which is one set of audio oupu cords, and than you would need something to go from the stereo to the dvd player for audio: again, another audio output cord...

I dont think you can do it...

3. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

You can do it, but you won't get 5.1 surround sound.

If you go to Radio Shack, they can help you get the cables you need to do it. Just tell them you need to go from a computer to AUX Stereo input.

4. Tim Flynn macrumors regular

If you happen to have one of those new PowerMac G5s, you can connect the optical (SPDIF) output on the Mac to the optical input on your new dvd sound system.

Mine sounds great. I haven't tried 5.1 on it yet. It's my BIG iPod :)

5. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

I am waiting for the next revision (prays for MWNY to have it ;)) before I buy.

Right now I have about $2,100 to spend and I can take advantage of apple's education discounts.

Thanks for your help everyone. I guess I'll move the DVD player into the TV room and use it to watch DVDs (we aren't really a big movie family or we'd already have a DVD player) and use some crappy speakers till I get a G5 and then I'll use the 5.1 speakers on the G5 and keep the DVD player on the TV.

Once again, thank you,
    scem0

6. vniow macrumors G4

The DVD player/receiver does seem to have a RCA stereo input on the back, hooking those up to the computer should be fairly simple. Go to Radio Shack like another poster above said, look for an adaptor that has a (female) red and white connector on one end and a (male) headphone connector on the other. Hook the headphone jack into your computer and get a whatever-length-you-need set of RCA cables to hook up to the DVD player.

There ya go. Enjoy.

-V

7. scem0 thread starter macrumors 604

scem0

Okay, update:

I hooked up the DVD player to the stereo and the stereo to my computer and now it plays the audio from the computer. This is what a wanted (granted it isn't surround sound)! But there is one tiny problem:

My speakers are making a fuzzy noises and the sound is warped. You cant hear voices in songs well at all. I've messed with the equalizations in iTunes, the settings on the DVD, and the settings on the stereo and can't remedy this.

Well, I gave up and hooked up my new speakers. They are good speakers they will definitely last till I get a G5 :).

Thanks V, you posted while I wrote this post. I would do that, but I don't want to go to Radio Shack and get the connector, and the speakers I was using before werent much better when you don't take surround sound into the picture. I'll be able to wait till the next revision. :)

For the third time, Thank you,
    scem0

8. Tim Flynn macrumors regular

I have my G5 hook into my old Sony digital amp via spdif. The amp doesn't understand 5.1, it only "understands" stereo. My amp is about 10+ years old. Out of the amp into a good set of (old) speakers. The speakers are not magnetically shielded, but my LCD doesn't care :)
    It sounds great ! No hiss :)

9. sahnert macrumors 6502

Sounds like an "internal feedback" problem. Don't know what it's called exactly or how it really works, but I've had it happen before and have been able to somewhat fix it. It could be occuring anywhere in your system if you are using a TRS plug. Look on all the headphone plugs or 1/4" plugs you are using if they have two little black (or whatever color) rings instead of just one it is TRS (tip, ring, sleeve). this is commonly used for a three-wire balanced signal but can also carry two seperate signals (with the third wire being the common ground). In some setups, again not sure exactly how it works. The two signals are working as a send and return so essentially you are sending a signal that is then coming back and being sent again. My guess is that as this happend phase differences cause certain frequencies to be cancelled out and results in the odd sound. I am not a sound engineer so I might be totally wrong. The way I have remedied this is by using a TS connector (with only one black ring) but first I check to see if this is really the issue. To do this pull the plug slightly out of the jack and move it around a bit to see if you can get a good sound. essentially you are trying to make two of the connectors connect without the third. I usually find that it works if it's about half way out. If this is the case you might be able to get some sort of adaptor, or just get a different cord. Hope this helps. And if someone out there actually know how this all works please speak up. I want to know too!