Hooking up a scanner under OS X

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Gnorn, May 12, 2006.

1. Gnorn macrumors regular

I'm planning to buy a new Mac end of this month (iMac or iMacBook (depending on the specs of the latter, allthough I doubt they'll top the iMac)) which is gonna replace my Bondi rev B running OS 8.6 :eek:

I also still have a scanner, an Umax 1220U (USB), but it looks like it's not gonna work with OS X. Umax isn't supporting that range anymore. On the Apple page's ( http://www.apple.com/support/mac101/connect/5/ ) it says that many scanners don't need drivers, only TWAIN compatibility, and a 'scan' button on the scanner, if I interpret that page correctly.

Alas, the 1220U has no such button. Actually, it has no buttons whatsoever.

So, any ideas on how to (if at all) make that scanner work with my new Mac? If not, I prolly have to keep my present iMac for scanning bussiness only and have to e-mail those scans to myself.

Cheers!

2. kugino macrumors 65816

kugino

if it has TWAIN support, you can use PS or PS elements or some other TWAIN-compliant application to scan...at least i think you can. do you know for sure your Umax doesn't work on a mac in OS X?

3. Gnorn thread starter macrumors regular

Actually, I don't... not until my spanking new Mac is sitting on my desk :)
    But based on my searching the web, I doubt it.

I do plan on buying PSE 4 with the new machine. Does that have scanning software/capabilities with it?

I now have to use Umax's own VistaScan to scan my images.

4. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Apple used to have a list of scanners that were compatible out of the box on their website...but with Tiger, they got rid of it, and only state something similar to what you said.

There used to (pre-Tiger) be a lot of cheap Windows scanners floating around that, as far as I know, are TWAIN, but don't particularly work in OS X. I don't know how much that has changed....

5. evil_santa macrumors 6502a

evil_santa

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    My canon scanner (TWAIN supported) has buttons but I've never used them.
    I just scan from Photoshop or Image Capture.

You might have to just wait and see if it works. I guess it depends on how often you use the scanner whether it's a deal killer.

7. Gnorn thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, i've seen that. Alas, it only lists the 1220S (SCSI), not the USB. Unless (I'm not such a techie) that doesn't matter?

May just have to wait and see if it will work using PSE or IC. But I allways try to find out as much as possible, every option, before doing something like this. (Spend a lot of time on Apple's site just to see what's different with OS X... a lot!!)