Hooking up Airport Extreme

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by coday182, Jul 27, 2006.

1. coday182 macrumors regular

coday182

So I am looking into getting a MBP and one of my biggest questions is about how easily and efficiently I will be able to incorporate it into the networks that are already at my mom's and dad's houses. I don't really know a lot about networking I just know that both houses have hubs (i think that's what they're called) that each computer is connected to. Both houses have broadband internet too. I don't know if the internet connections go into the main computer then into the hub or directly into the hub. Anyways. So if I get one of those nifty little airport express things can I just plug a cable going from the hub to the Airport Extreme will I be able to access the networks/internet via the bluetooth sensor in the mac? I don't really know if I made any sense I will re-read later to make sure lol.

2. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

I do believe that the airport express through the hub will give you a wireless network connection, but the connection should be through an airport card, and not bluetooth.

3. coday182 thread starter macrumors regular

coday182

That's what I meant. But my macbook pro can automatically connect to that just like with bluetooth right?

4. bbergie macrumors regular

bbergie

You should have no trouble finding your wireless network after you've connected your airport express to the router. Just click the "wireless activity" bars in your menu bar and you should see your wireless network in the dropdown box; click on it and, voila, you're off. Good luck.

5. JurgenWigg macrumors 6502

JurgenWigg

The only trouble will be picking out which wireless connection is actually yours! My macbook usually picks up 2 or 3 different networks.

6. coday182 thread starter macrumors regular

coday182

All this makes me want to play on a MBP right now... but I don't have one yet :( lol