Hooking up console to monitor; audio?

Discussion in 'Games' started by GFLPraxis, Oct 25, 2006.

1. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Hey guys, I just purchased a Viewsonic VX2025WM 20.1" monitor for my desktop PC. I intended to use it for the PC only, but just ten minutes ago I started thinking. The monitor has a max resolution of 1600x1050, and I notice websites online list it as "720p ready" (since 720p is 1280x720 that shouldn't be a problem), and it has both DVI and VGA inputs (my PC is hooked up via VGA). So, when I get my Wii (and in a year or two, one of the other two consoles, when the price goes down) I'll get a DVI cable and hook it up and run it at 480p. My question, however, is this; what about audio?

I'd need something to hook up the red/white composite plugs from this
    either to the PC speakers, or just to the speaker in jack on the monitor. I'm not sure what that type of audio cable is technically called so I can't find anything on Google.

Can someone recommend exactly what hardware I need to hook up the monitor via DVI and have working audio?

I'll also be buying an EyeTV Hybrid for recording video too :)
  2. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    I know that many logitech speakers come with adapters that will take the composite input and convert them to the normal headphone jacks that their speakers use. Maybe you should go down to the local bestbuy and take a look at the cheaper logitechs there.
  3. Dagless macrumors Core

Jan 18, 2005
    Fighting to stay in the EU
    Cube is hooked up to my 2007FPW, the 2 audio cables go into my amp sat beside it, which in turn pumps out the joyfully frigness we call sound to 2 speakers sat 6' apart.

Just need an amp. Or if you want to spent a lot just get those fancy speakers with mini-built in amps.
  4. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2004
    I plugged my PS2 into my Monitor of the summer then ran the audio to my PC speakers using a couple of Adapters. First I got a RCA to 1/8" stereo adapter. Then I got an 1/8" Y adapter. The Y adapter plugs into the Mac and the PS2 and speakers plug into it. With everything connected and I get both my computer and my PS2's sound through my speakers.
  5. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

Aug 5, 2005
    Almost any set of speakers that have a sub will have them (all of mine did)
  6. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    I haven't invested in a serious audio setup as audio isn't really that important to me; no subwoofer, just the simple speakers that came with my VAIO. But all I need is stereo sound and I'm happy.
  7. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    You need a 3.5mm male to RCA female cord or a 3.5mm male to RCA male cord and a pair of RCA couplers. Both options will run you well less than $10 at your local Radio Shack or Wal-Mart.

3.5mm to RCA Male

RCA Coupler

I'd suggest the latter option (cord + couplers). It might cost a few pennies (or a dollar) more, but I think it's more versatile (in case you want to use it for something else later on). That and the first cable is sometimes hard to find.
  8. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Now, in the case that Nintendo does not sell DVI cables in the US, can I use this:

To plug the component video into a DVI port? It looks like the primary intention of that device is to convert DVI to component but will it go in reverse?

EDIT: Ugh, apparently works only with ATi cards, user reviews confirm it doesn't work with anything else.

Can anyone recommend a component-to-DVI adapter?
  9. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    Is it digital DVI or analog? If it's digital, you should probably just give it up at this point, as the VGA to DVI-D converters are several hundred bucks (In addition to getting VGA from component.

There was a thread about Wii+ACD displays (which are DVI-D). (Thread)

But the relevant parts are

Component to VGA (This also includes the RCA to 3.5mm headphone adapter as I mentioned earlier) :)
    VGA to DVI or this cable

(And if you really want, the VGA to DVI-D converter is here).
  10. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Google says it has DVI-D, and it also has a VGA port. I don't care which I hook it up through as long as I get 480p. Since I can still use analog VGA, I don't have to worry about the VGA to DVI-D converter.

I'm really not as familiar with monitor outputs as I should be, so what exactly should I do in this case?

If that is the best deal available, then I'll just have to hope Nintendo releases a DVI-D output, because I am not spending $60 for component-out for Wii + $70 for Component-to-VGA...out of my price range, I'd buy two or three games for that price.

EDIT: Hmm, I'll look in to the N6 thing you posted in the other thread, perhaps eBay can get it cheap...
  11. jdechko macrumors 68040

Jul 1, 2004
    Well, the good news is that the Wii component cables will only set you back $30 + shipping, not $60. :)

I found a few Component to VGA cables (not adapters) on the internet, but I'm not sure if they'll work (and you'll need 3 RCA couplers if they do). Play-Asia has some of the Component to VGA adapters for $50. I think those will be the best option.
  12. GFLPraxis thread starter macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Ah okay, I was using the price GameStop listed for the MadCatz Wii Premium Component Cable ($59.99). Cool...well, I guess I'll just wait and see what cables Nintendo releases then, and hope we get DVI in the U.S..