Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
My girlfriend is a PC user, (however she absolutely loves my iBook and said she was going to make the switch next computer she gets) and she has an RCA Lyra MP3 player. (And she also wants my iPod very much, and I think Im going to get her an iPod mini eventually) but anyway, I cant figure out how to get itunes to recognize her Lyra... is there a way? Right now it is making her use the crappy software that came with it, which is a pain let me tell ya. Any ideas?

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Butler Trumpet said:
My girlfriend is a PC user, (however she absolutely loves my iBook and said she was going to make the switch next computer she gets) and she has an RCA Lyra MP3 player. (And she also wants my iPod very much, and I think Im going to get her an iPod mini eventually) but anyway, I cant figure out how to get itunes to recognize her Lyra... is there a way? Right now it is making her use the crappy software that came with it, which is a pain let me tell ya. Any ideas?
It won't, unfortunately. iTunes doesn't support device plugins, which would be the only way you could get iTunes to recognize something other than an iPod.

Butler Trumpet

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 26, 2004
Dekalb IL
wrldwzrd89 said:
It won't, unfortunately. iTunes doesn't support device plugins, which would be the only way you could get iTunes to recognize something other than an iPod.

I could be wrong but, I thought when iTunes came out, before the iPod was so huge, they had support for other players.... (could be wrong again) but I seem to remember Rio having players that would work.

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Butler Trumpet said:
I could be wrong but, I thought when iTunes came out, before the iPod was so huge, they had support for other players.... (could be wrong again) but I seem to remember Rio having players that would work.
You are correct: Link. Apple removed support for these other players when the iPod came out - see link.

rueyeet

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2003
MD
Ironic. It was the limitations of my old Lyra that made me want an iPod. :D It took compact flash, but didn't ALLOW you to use anything larger than 64 MB! I had to send back the IBM Microdrive I bought for the thing....hope they've fixed that.

Dvorak may ask who needs to carry around all their music at all times; but man, did I ever get sick of constantly swapping one hour-long playlist for another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.