Hooters Waitress Duped By Jedi

Discussion in 'Community' started by ~Shard~, Oct 28, 2004.

1. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Some people have no sense of humor.... I, however, think this is pretty amusing... :cool:

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

That is classic. And I suppose she really though she'd get a new car - I'm guessing Toyota's are US$12K minimum - for selling beer.

And the new toy Yoda looks pretty cool. I'm jealous. ;)

3. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yeah, funny but I'm on her side... i hate "clever" contests (they used to be called scams)... this is, I think, a couple of years old tho.

paul

4. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

5. Archaeopteryx macrumors regular

Though was the car really worth having her be feared by every potential employer for life!? I personally would never hire her to even clean my floors :p

6. jrober macrumors regular

jrober

2004 Corolla

Thats bizarre, at my local Star Wars club I entered a draw for a new toyoda and I am now sitting at home with a lousy red 2004 Corolla on the drive and a big gap in my Jedi collection.

Great story, must try that out on my colleagues but with legal disclaimer e.g. Items you think you might be getting may differ in spelling from those actually received.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm not sure of the actual situation, but it's sad that you can't play an April Fool's joke. Saying that she can pick any Toyota is quit a range in prices. :eek:

8. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yah, supposedly she got to choose any model of Toyota she wanted. To make them pay she should have chosen a MR2 Spider - even though I personally don't like those cars, they're Toyota's most expensive, I believe..

9. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yah, it is a couple years old. At first I also somewhat challenged the authenticity of this article, as it appeared this girl had too much brains (to think of suing) and not enough of a chest to be a Hooters waitress. I thought they had standards! :eek: ;)

Plus, her shirt is far too loose-fitting for a Hooters waitress. :cool:

10. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Exactly - come on, what would you rather have, a boring Japanese car or a little green Jedi master with a light saber? :cool:

11. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Not quite. She could have opted for the Land Cruiser, which is a cool $56,000.

12. Mike Teezie macrumors 68020

Mike Teezie

The most I could spend at Toyota.com was $53,348 for a Sequoia Limited 4x4 with every conceivable option.

Not a bad payday for her boss pulling a prank.

13. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Hmm. I asked my partner what he thought of it, certainly he remembered it as he's a star wars fanatic. And he agreed with most of you, that she shouldn't have sued.

I'm surprised by that. Imagining the humiliation she would have felt... To say the least, as an april fools' day joke, this was terribly mean-spirited. I would ask anyone else to put themselves in her shoes... Be promised a car (and if she's working at Hooters, she's probably not the most financially secure of people) if you work your ass off (and waitresses do work their asses off, whether in skimpy outfits or not) ... then accomplish it, hold up your end of the deal, and be the butt of a joke in front of your coworkers... all because of a technicality: the word "toyota" had been spoken instead of written.

Perhaps I'm biased, as I don't think Hooters should be in business, because i don't find the exploitation of women, or their mammary glands, funny or erotic. That's just me.

paul

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

US$66,267 on a Land Cruiser was the best I could do.

15. emw macrumors G4

emw

I would've had my lawyer slip in a clause that included all Lexus vehicles as well, since they're Toyota's luxury division... LX470 for $72,106.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

sueing depends on the situation, if it was made out to seem that she would indeed receive a car, then yes she should have sued, but if it was more of a joke contest i wouldnt care, it all depends on the way in which the 'contest' was conducted ect.

however i hate hooters too, but thats besides the fact its that she was indeed promised something and then did not receive that item, which she was entitled too

17. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

i guess that depends on where you live cause i got 72,258 for the same vehicle.

18. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Wel DUUHH!!!! :D

19. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

Too bad the Toyota Century isn't available in the US. That would run a good $100,000 at least (they only make 6 a month I think.) The back-massager in the back seats is probably extra :D

20. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

It seems to me that Hooters is actually exploiting those who come to see the women at least as much as they are exploiting the women themselves... who seem to compete for those positions.

21. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

Mancow did this a few years ago aroudn when episode 1 was coming out.

the contest was to run around the then Rosemont horizon naked for a brand new toyoda ...

So did she win a lawsuit?

I realyl hope she didn't because our society needs to stop rewarding ignorance. If they properly ran this prank, they let her make her own conclusions ...

22. absolut_mac macrumors 6502a

absolut_mac

Disagree

I have pretty weird sense of humor, and usually find things amusing that others do not, but I honestly don't find anything amusing about Hooter's lame April fool's stunt. Especially in light of the fact that they probably made a ton of money with all the bartenders trying to outdo each other in sales in order to get a chance to win a new car.

I'm really happy that she did win in the end - now look who's laughing???

23. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

Ah yes, I stand corrected. Don't think I'd buy a Land Cruiser though either...

24. ~Shard~ thread starter macrumors P6

~Shard~

I don't know which I find more amusing though, the stunt or the fact that she sued them - I'm leaning towards the latter... ;)

25. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Okay, then if I was in shoes, I would have laughed instead of sued. Maybe it's just an American thing....

And she wasn't promised a car...she was promised a toyoda.....a play on words. It was April Fools, and no, this wasn't "mean spirited." Waitresses work hard, but they're compensated with money. That's the point of every job, isn't it? Even if it's a difficult job to be a Hooters waitress, she was always properly reimbursed, so to say she deserved to win a car because she was doing her job and couldn't take an April Fools joke seems.....well, seems like just another stupid American lawsuit.