Hope for Optical Image Stabilization in iPhone 6 Revived with Supplier Rumors

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 17, 2014.

1. macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Late last week, shares of InvenSense rose on rumors that the company had won a contract to supply sensors for Apple's upcoming iPhone 6. InvenSense supplies sensors such as accelerometers and gyroscopes to major phone manufacturers, but the company has yet to publicly land a deal with Apple. The validity of the rumor seems up for debate, however, as a Needham & Company analyst soon released a note saying that he "did not get the impression" from InvenSense's CEO and CFO that such an agreement was in place. Of course, that information would be under a strict non-disclosure agreement with Apple, severely limiting what InvenSense executives could tell the analyst.

Regardless, The Motley Fool speculates on what InvenSense could bring to Apple. While InvenSense could offer drop-in replacements for the current gyroscope and accelerometer sensors in the iPhone, the company also provides Optical Image Stabilization (OIS) technology for mobile phones:
    [​IMG]
    Image from Electronics 360
    Optical Image Stabilization remains relatively new in the smartphone market, and uses a motion-tracking system to compensate for device shakiness, allowing for sharper photos and video. This video demonstrates the product:

Apple presently offers software-based image stabilization in its iPhone 5s, but has definitely been researching optical image stabilization for the iPhone. Earlier this year, an Apple patent application detailing an OIS system was published. The employee who authored that patent was hired by Apple in 2012 from a company working on the same optical image stabilization technology.

Whether or not Apple is actually planning on incorporating Optical Image Stabilization technology in the next iPhone or not, it's clear the company's engineers are working on it. Historically, Apple has made steady improvements to the iPhone camera with each subsequent generation, and the last several generations have focused on image quality improvements rather than simply increasing megapixel counts.

Article Link: Hope for Optical Image Stabilization in iPhone 6 Revived with Supplier Rumors

2. macrumors 6502a

AppleWarMachine

there is always room for improvement on iPhone cameras :D

3. macrumors 68030

Lesser Evets

The iPhone will become an all-rounder, if Apple pursues tech innovation such as this.

When it comes with large memory (128+ GB), it can be an entertainment center, phone, near-pro camera, jukebox, and internet/email computer, among other things. It takes the place of more and more devices scattered about the home and office which take space and energy.

4. macrumors 603

jrswizzle

Sweet! Maybe now we'll get higher quality leak photos! ;):D

5. macrumors 6502

Why are the colors so drastically different between the two pictures?

6. macrumors regular

TimeSquareDesi

7. macrumors member

JerryCards

Hope it is true. Glad to see iPhone has more and more powerful camera.

8. macrumors 601

BornAgainMac

Apple always makes me feel that prior camera in the iPhone is crap when they introduce the new one.

9. Moderator

Agent-P

Staff Member

I really hope this makes it into the next iPhone. It's one of those small features from my Lumia 920 that would make the iPhone so much better. The potential for better low light capabilities would be a welcomed addition for me.

10. macrumors regular

Ehh... the quality between snaps from my 4S and 5S aren't dramatic... especially not like going from the 3G to the 4.

But yes, its still a "little" better, and makes me feel like my old phone is a "little" worse :(

11. macrumors 6502

Illusion986

The end of blurry leaks is near

12. macrumors 65816

irnchriz

Wish I was privy to these 'rumours' prior to them breaking, could make a killing on the stock market.

Do these guys ever get investigated for stock manipulation or insider trading??

13. macrumors 68020

carjakester

the iPhone always seems to have much clearer photos than most other phones. Glad they are always looking to improve it as most people will always have their phone to take photos.

14. macrumors 6502a

bboucher790

An iPod, a phone, and an internet communicator. These are not three separate devices.

I believe this already happened.

15. macrumors regular

TimeSquareDesi

Probably not because their efforts keep this economic engine oiled. Just how so many "online media companies" (most tech companies nowadays, for that matter) are essentially spying on users but nothing is being done about it.

But I agree with you... Just having a single tip could make you millions....

16. macrumors 68000

That's just marketing for you

17. macrumors 6502

ColdShadow

They really need to improve iPhone cameras.

18. macrumors 68030

mdelvecchio

i guess, but they represent one of the best in the market, and have for years -- every year the new-iphone's camera is very good, and the rest catch up. the iphone was the first phone widely written about as a replacement for point-and-shoots.

19. macrumors 68020

teknikal90

iPhone 6 is becoming more and more into the phone to get
    so glad i skipped the 5S

20. macrumors 68030

mdelvecchio

"when"? it already does and is those things. tho near-pro camera is the most difficult as there isnt enough space on a thin phone to have the lens depth needed for pro-grade glass.

----------

different cameras, different sensors, different software.

----------

that is fallacy thinking. you can say the same about the next iterations after the 6....it all depends entirely on where youre at, what you need, and what represents value for you. me, i get immense value out of my 5s, today, and wouldnt want to be running on something older for a year because it would mean losing that value for a year.

21. macrumors 601

dannyyankou

A lot of Apple news today!

22. macrumors 6502

Maybe someone in the know could chime in, but what does optical image stab offer that software image stab doesn't already?

23. macrumors 68030

Do it guys, make an astounding camera even better.

Pumped for the 6!!!

24. macrumors 603

Exactly. Neither does deliver the 5s significantly better image quality than the 5, either.

Of course the

- significantly higher burst framerate,
    - the somewhat wider lens (but still not as wide as that of all the other flagships, particularly not in HD / Full HD video mode - in video, it still uses around 36mm equiv FoV, while top cameraphones like the Nokia 808 or 1020 have the, for social videos, much-much better 26-27mm)
    - the dynamic exposure changing during pano
    - the somewhat brighter lens
    - the better flash

are GREAT in the 5s.

25. arn
    macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

optical has better quality.

software, you are manipulating the image to stabilize it, after the fact. Whether that's averaging across pictures, or cropping the picture and stablizing a crop of the photo.

optical, the lens is physically tracking at the time.

arn