Hope someone can help --- printer probs!!!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by jbrown, Dec 13, 2003.

1. jbrown macrumors 6502a

Jul 7, 2002
    I have recently upgraded to Panther -- and enjoying it all....BUT..... my only cause for concern is the my printer - an Epson 830 is behaving oddly. It prints text OK, but for reason unknown, it prints photos extremely slowly. As I need this for work, it is kind of a bummer, as I have to reboot in 10.2.8 to get any printing speed out of it. I'm trying to ween myself off Jaguar - and this is the only thing holding me back. For the record, I have my hard disk partitioned in 3 - ( one OS 9, one Jaguar,, main one Panther ) and I have downloaded the latest drivers. Anyone else experience this problem, and any fixes.

cheers guys and gals

Justin:) :) :D
  2. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2003
    First, you may want to repair permissions although I'm not sure if this will help. To do this open disk utility in your Utilities folder (in Apps).

You could try using the CUPS drivers which are now built into OS X (w/ Panther). I'm not sure if there is a driver for your printer, but even if there isn't you can try the drivers for one of the models close to yours.

To use these drivers, when you go to add your printer in Printer Setup Utility, instead of selecting your printers model at the top, use the dropdown menu. Select Epson. Find your printer model or the closest model. See if this works.

If it doesn't, try using Apple's recommended driver instead of the latest one if they are different. Use your Panther install disks to get this driver. The printer drivers are on disk 3 as far as I know.
  3. lmstudio macrumors newbie

Dec 15, 2003
    Slow printing

You don't say what kind of printer you have or how old it is. If it's not supported by updated OSX-compatible drivers and has to go through Gimp, you are out of luck.

I have the same problem. Apple tech support has told me that if your printer is old enough to not be supported by updated drivers and/or if you use a parallel to USB adapter, they will not help you. You will have to buy a new printer.

How do you like THEM apples?