Hope someone can help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by leewilson78, Jan 16, 2007.

1. leewilson78 macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I'm in desperate need of help, I have an external Lacie Hard Drive, I decided to compressed all of my old work on there, probably 6 years worth of work, about 100gig in size. I compressed it all to a zip file, now I can't seem unzip it.

Basically, when I double click it, it sounds like its doing something (although no files are shown) for about and an hour or so, then it stop, I assume it as uncompressed it, but I look on the Lacie drive and all that is there is the zip file. I would try unzipping on my internal mac drive but its too big to copy over.
    By default, the file opens with BOMArchiveHelper (installed with the Mac OS X system), I have tried using Stuffit expander but that just throws as an error message as soon as I try.

Can anyone help?

ThanksLee

2. Makosuke macrumors 603

That is a REALLY big single Zip file; I don't know whether the Zip format has an upper limit on file size, but it might, which could explain your problem.

Is it possible that the combination of the Zip file and the uncompressed data is too large to fit on the LaCie drive? If so, it might be choking when it runs out of free space while decompressing. In which case, a larger drive would be your best shot.

You might also try going to VersionTracker.com and doing a search for "zip"--that'll show a whole pile of utilities made for dealing with Zip files; perhaps one of them can show you the contents of the file and help you extract it in chunks and/or succeed where the OS's built-in compression failed.