Hopes for iTunes 5

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jhomayne, May 30, 2005.

1. jhomayne macrumors regular

what i REALLY want is the ability to 'double-tag' a single file.

that is to say to be able to have one file listed in 2 places in my library. For example, if a track appears on a film soundtrack that i already have on an album in my library i could just tell itunes to link both songs to the same file.

one for the neatness freaks and completists this one i think!

2. Frisco macrumors 68020

CD-Text

Automatically download album art into iTunes without third party software

More visualizers. Hopefully Apple would hire developers to make some kick ass visualizers. The best visualizers are for Winamp and I hear they hire their own developers just for visualizers.

3. zach macrumors 65816

zach

Being able to import a CD as one file, but allow iTunes/iPod to insert track markers.. Would eliminate the stupid breaks between MP3 or AAC encoded songs, and finally allow me to listen to my Pink Floyd the way it was meant to. ;)

4. russed macrumors 68000

russed

what ever they do they should be careful not to make it more bloated, it is the best music jukebox software around and should be kept that way!

5. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Little things like I wish the album art cover would change it the current playing song instead of staying on the original I picked. I hope the redo the iTunes widget so that it shows the artist, album and album cover. I would also like to use the widget to change the raking of the current song.
    I can't really think of anything I need iTunes to do that it can't now.

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Just click the bar above the album art (which from 4.8 should be called "(->) Selected Song" by default) and you toggle between showing the selected song (if any) and the song "Now Playing". The function has always been there (at least for a while) but from 4.8 they added the arrow indicating that the bar is clickable....

7. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Amen. 4 major version of iTunes and not one featuring gapless playback. Pretty absurd when the Rio Karma accomplishes this regardless of the format of the file...

8. wwooden macrumors 68000

wwooden

Thanks for pointing that out, but I realized it in the last 10 minutes since I posted. Guess that means iTunes does everything I need :).

9. redAPPLE macrumors 68030

redAPPLE

well if you import concert cds (ie. Pearl Jam), you can "join cd tracks" (advanced:join cd tracks) and listen to the concert from beginning to end...

i hope this is what you meant.

10. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Think about that for a sec...

It will rip it as one long track consisting of all the songs on the album in that one track.

That's a terrible workaround.

11. jhomayne thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i don't see why if we can choose track start/end times why the same can't be done to give seamless playback.

12. cyanide macrumors regular

cyanide

mostly because apple wants it to be kept "simple" for the huge crowd of iPod owners out there. Having to manually type in your start and stop times just isn't sleek enough, and you can bet that they don't add that feature until they can do it in a way that makes it "so easy, anyone could do it" . however, i agree that it would be nice as an underlying feature for those who don't mind such "hassle". damn, three sets of "" is just too much for one post..."later"

13. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

- add AltiVec acceleration to playback for <1% CPU usage on any G4
    - update the interface. This one is more than 5 years old and is beginning to look dated. It also uses screen space inefficiently. Get rid of the Browse button and use column view like the finder or the iTMS
    - make it skinnable like Audion (Apple would never do this, of course)
    - give ability to rate whole albums in addition to individual songs. Maybe treat albums as albums instead of as just a bunch of songs that all have the same text in the album field. Display album covers next to albums in the list or something.
    - add a progress bar to the mini player
    - FLAC & Shorten playback

14. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

There are a few things I would like to see but I would really like to see aac plus as an encoding option. I know it's something small but my library is approaching 20 GB so smaller files with better or as good playback would be great. I also think that an integrated album art downloader would be great.

15. ekenny macrumors regular

ekenny

16. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

hasn't there been a plugin for this for iTunes for a while now?

17. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

I actually want them to keep it the same, except remove the brushed metal and make it the plastic for Mac AND windows so Windows users can experience the beauty of a Mac vs. the ugly brushed metal thing.

Also, we need PLUGIN SUPPORT like in firefox!

Also, this will need a) creativity b) drugs to fully understand:

Have iTunes be able to have music shortcuts, that draw from a full list of music files. I have R.E.M.'s (for example) Automatic for the People CD, and In Time best of CD. I have multiple nightswimmings, sidewinder sleeps tonights, man on the moons, etc. I only want one.

Now, Apple effects time!

Have iTunes the way it is, but clicking a button will make iTunes "swish" around to the back of iTunes, where you see all these nuts and bolts and cranks and a little, transparent-like window between them that you can kind of see the Application under it as well as read songs in the list, and have a full list of songs "behind" iTunes that would show the original songs and right clicking/option clicking on the songs would show where its linked to as well as properties.

18. rotlex macrumors 6502a

The ability to sync with more devices other than the Ipod. No reason it shouldn't be able to sync with anything out there that acts like a drive. I know, I know, the Ipod is cool and all, but I simply refuse to spend $200 bucks for a mini with less features than my $79 MP3 player.

19. mcarvin macrumors regular

Sorta like an advanced alias or sym link kind of thing. Nice.

20. KKKL macrumors 6502

that is to say to be able to have one file listed in 2 places in my library. For example, if a track appears on a film soundtrack that i already have on an album in my library i could just tell itunes to link both songs to the same file.

Automatically download album art into iTunes without third party software

21. aswitcher macrumors 603

aswitcher

How soon until they go get video clips when playing

22. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

So pull them off the CD instead.

23. mim macrumors 6502

If you've got a Mac, then there's a plugin for this.

http://www.illadvised.com/~jordy/

Used to work fine. I've not tried it on upgraded Quicktime/iTunes/Tiger though (as I've since re-ripped to high bit-rate AAC!).

24. Sharewaredemon macrumors 68000

Sharewaredemon

The ability to convert and replace.

For example you want to convert your entire library to 128 AAC (and you used to use 160 MP3 before there was AAC) but you have 100 playlists with tons of songs in them.

Also you have playcounts that number in the 100's for a bunch of your songs.

Now right now when you convert it creates a new track, that isn't in any playlist, and have a zero playcount. Now this makes sense to me, but it would be really cool if you could tell iTunes before you convert to replace the old files location in playlists and playcounts with the new ones.

Sound good?

I'd also like as others have said the ability to have a song linked to more than one album.

25. Sirus The Virus macrumors 6502a

Sirus The Virus

With me being a huge U2 fan, I have several singles, most of their albums, and both Best of CD's. Some songs I have 3 or four copies of! A multiple tag feature would be great!