Hopes for "new" Mac ground to tiny little bits

Discussion in 'Community' started by zelmo, Jun 2, 2005.

1. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Poor poor pitiful me:rolleyes:

[whine] For some time now, I've been having a hate affair with my Mac at work, a B&W G3/400MHz. We purchased 4 new iMac G5's with the rev B release and, while I would not be getting one of the new Mac's, the hardware cascade would ultimately free up an iMac G4/700MHz for me. It's still a decent upgrade, and would get this freaking huge 21" CRT off my desk finally. I have a similar iMac (G4/800) at home, so the drastically smaller display won't be too much of a shock.

Today, as we reviewed the cascade plans, we realized that one of our graphic designers is running on a G3/400 :eek:. For some reason, his machine wasn't even listed in our database. So, while he is on his honeymoon this week and next, we will swap out his junky machine for the iMac originally earmarked for me. He will also keep his current CRT, so he can span. He'll love that for his pallettes.

Me, I have the option of "upgrading" to a G4/450, which I'm not sure is even worth the trouble to wipe drives and re-install everything for.

I guess I should be happy that I get to use a Mac instead of a PC, but damn. I was so looking forward to getting a faster Mac and regaining some desk real estate.
    I suppose I could pull rank. As VP of Prepress, I could easily just take the new iMac for myself, but the better machines need to be in the hands of the operators, not the managers. Guess I'll keep bringing my PowerBook to work.[/whine]

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Kudos powermac666, take one for the team.

As you said, at least you've got the PowerBook. :)

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Hey, I had to buy my iMac G5 or they were going to make me work on a PC.

At least you get a Mac. :)

Next revision!

4. SteveC macrumors 6502

You could always buy your own iMac and use it at work. :) Ask for a raise to pay half the bill. :D

5. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

YGTBSM!

6. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

and the acronym means???

7. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

8. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

It means, "You've got to be shatting me." Or something very, very close to that. ;)

9. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

Holy ****! I can't believe that I figured that out before you said it!

10. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

When I read iGary's post, I was thinking almost the same thing. Still didn't figure out what is an obvious acronym, though. :eek: :rolleyes:

11. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

To the best of my knowledge the Extended Desktop Mode is disabled on the iMac G4's just as it was on the original iMac and on any iBook.

It would make more sense to get a video card, some RAM and a Sonnet upgrade card for the B&W he's using and give you the iMac.

It'd make no sense for him to work on the iMac when it'll have both a smaller screen and a lack of precise colour calibration.

12. iGary Guest

iGary

No, I figured when I leave here it will be a good computer for my significant other. I really hate working on Windows, it makes me ill, seriously. I realize I should probably seek counseling for this, but oh well. They said if I wanted a Mac to buy one, so I did.

1500.00 unreimbursed business expense. ;)

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

iGary, I can see why you don't like working there. They sound mean. :(

14. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I understand... I bought a 12" PB so I could bring it with me to work, and found out that, in fact, they won't let me on the network, even if I hand the PB over to them to add the official software (nothing Carbon Copy Cloner couldn't fix). I was under the false impression that, since other groups here use Macs (a very few, but some), and that since my company therefore supports them and allows them on the network, and since my managers "blessed" the purchase by giving me a bit more of a bonus (not a lot, BTW, but something) than normal (as I'd asked endlessly for a Mac and I think they wanted to shut me up) that I could use my Mac here.

Nope. I can bring it in, but cannot connect it - not officially. I can, however, go a block down the street, get on wirelessly at the Panerra shop, and connect via VPN to here - legally, with their blessing. I just can't do it from my desk.

So, I guess, be happy with your PB. At least you can use it.

15. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

Hmmm. Anyone know if the iBook external display hack will also work on an iMac G4 running 10.3?

16. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

That's pretty retarded, jsw.

As for using my PB here, the IT guy is currently looking the other way. Not because it's a Mac (we have about 25 Macs here, and maybe 80-90 PC's), but because our corporate virus software does not yet have support for Tiger, and I'm not supposed to run it on the network without virus protection. So, those 4 new iMac's are all loaded up and running, but sit back in the tech office off the network until we have the patch.
    Kind of strange though. Every other computer on the WAN has virus protection, and the virii won't damage a Mac, just possibly pass through to another machine (which has the virus software). I'm no IT guy, but I don't see the harm in letting these Macs on the network. They worst they can do (until there is a Mac virus in the wild) is pass along a virus to some Windows box that will kill it, right?

17. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I think you meant "best." ;)

18. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Nice to see some managers get it!

The best tools should be in the hands that need them the most...the operators.

Kudos to you.

Sushi

19. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

The iBook hack only worked because the GPU's Dual Monitor Mode was shut off at the OS via the Install & Restore Disks. If you use a Powerbook G4 Greydisk from the same rev cycle on the iBook G3 you get EDM enabled. At that time the GPU's were nearly identical between the TiBook and the white iBook G3 with only the amount of VRAM, connection speed and OS level driver enabling differing. Both portable GPU chipsets were capable of and wired for EDM.

This doesn't work on the iMac because the limitations are more board-level. To the best of my knowledge you'd have to hack the custom Apple firmware in the GPU. For all that time and energy it's a better idea to just buy some upgrade cards. As far as I know the iMac G4's GPU is physically wired to be incapable of EDM, as it was on the iMac G3 Slotloading version.

If you're anywhere near Santa Cruz or the south bay I'd be more than happy to install upgrades in one or both B&W towers.

I'm suprised to hear you say that there's no AntiVirus for Tiger. Symantec has released an upgrade for Norton Antivirus (v10.1.5) that's Tiger compatible. Just read the instructions first if you have Version 9 installed (gotta uninstall it first). Go to www.versiontracker.com for more details.

20. plinden macrumors 68040

plinden

Wow, you're not like any of the VP/senior managers I know - when upgrading computers last year (PCs not Macs), the grander the job title, the sooner you got your upgrade. So we poor developers were forced to watch our bosses swanning around with the latest centrino IBM Thinkpads while we were still working with 300MHz PIIIs.

21. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

Thanks. I have never understood managers who feel otherwise. Having people happy and efficient makes me look like a good manager. Putting the fastest Mac on my own desk makes me look like a selfish bastard. Extending my employment is far more important than having a shiny new toy on my desk.

22. iGary Guest

iGary

Not nice people.

Working hard on a solution, though. :)

23. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Ah, but if you don't need the fastest mac, you should settle for something a little lower. You just need to find some reason to get a new system that would justify it. The machine you're on now is getting quite long in the tooth, even a Mac Mini would be better and that's saying a lot.

Good luck,

D

24. zelmo thread starter macrumors 603

zelmo

Our parent company, Consolidated Graphics, has a site license with Computer Associates for eTrust, which currently has no support for Tiger. IT tells me that if we upgrade a Mac running 10.x-10.3.9 (that already has eTrust installed) to Tiger, we're fine. It's just new systems with Tiger pre-installed that are the issue. We've already tried to clean install 10.1, 10.2, and 10.3, to no avail. The new iMac wouldn't recognize the boot disk. So we wait.

25. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Gotta love when IT gets sold on something hokey.

No Mac will voluntarilly boot from any OS previous to the one it was "finalled" on. That is: 99.9% of the time no Mac will boot from any OS version previous to the one that it shipped with. The only exception I've found was my Mac mini: It shipped with 10.3.8 but it's AppleCare CD came with 10.3.4, from which it successfully boots. This means that the mobo and internals were "finalled" when 10.3.4 was current.

If you threaten to drop eTrust for Symantec (a wise move in my opinion) you may find that there's support after all. If you're a big enough account they may get you a pre-release or put you in as a "testing customer". Personally I'd switch to Symantec, they've got a reliable record with their updates and their software is excellent so long as you RTFM.