hoping for final fantasy 13 soon ... you are up for a wait

Discussion in 'Games' started by takao, Oct 30, 2006.

1. takao macrumors 68040

takao

2. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Every Final Fantasy since VI has ranged from "mediocre" (FFIX or X, minus the ****-tastic voice acting) to "****ing terrible" (FFVII, I'm looking at you) anyway. So who cares? Square should just re-make VI, it's still one of the best stories that's ever been put into a video game. With a little re-writing and graphics magic to bring it into the modern age, it'd certainly be better than the last 6 games in the series. Who knows? Maybe XII will turn down the suck somewhat.

I'll buy a PS3 when there's a Fumito Ueda (director of ICO and Shadow of the Colossus) game out for it.

3. greatdevourer macrumors 68000

I guess it means that by the time it comes out, the PS3 should have dropped some pricage :D

4. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

way to keep on slagging the PS3 takao

but anyway, waiting and Final Fantasy seem to go hand in hand. They always take forever to come out yet they are always critically and commerical successful (well...except FFX-2). FFXII is rated to be one of the best RPG's in a long long time, and has sold a crap load of copies in Japan. It is worth the wait for something good no? all the Nintendo fans on here know all about waiting, how long has it been for Zelda? And is it just a current gen game with a next gen control scheme. So whats the problem?

5. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I agree with killmoms. FF is dead to me through thoroughly average games.

6. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I havent the patience or time or desire to trudge through any 60-100 hour game.

By the time i'd be 10 hours in - other games will be released that I want to play, so i'll buy them an by the time I came back to the epic - i've forgotten everything i've done or the plot..

Oh and RANDOM BATTLES BELONG IN HELL

7. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

there are no random battles in 12 at least...

8. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

you sold me on finally playing the copy Ive had for the longest time now.

i dread playing FF since VI, but VII was doable and ive yet to tackle X or XII

but random battles gone, ill give XII a try before I do X

9. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Yeah it does make FF more appealing if random battles are gone.

Anyone tried enchanted arms on the 360, theres a random battle every 3 paces :eek:

10. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a

NewbieNerd

Well that's okay with me on the FFXIII delay. I'm in the middle of X now, and I haven't played X-2 or XIII yet. I'll also definitely get VII and IX for my PSP if/when they come out with the official PSX emulator. And V and III and II and I? Geez. I got a lot more to play than I realized...

11. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

FFVI was EXCELLENT! You should definitely play FFX as it is class as well. X-2 was pretty lame but I still played it through twice just to get 100% completion. I have XII on pre-order and it should be in this week... special collector’s edition... awww yeah!

I had a roommate in college who logged over 170 hours on FFX haha. His players were unstoppable.

12. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

I must admit I liked 9. It's the only one of the series I got into for more than a few hours.

None of them hold a candle to chronotrigger ;)

13. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Amen!

14. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Stuff like this strikes me as marketing crap or being just plain made up. You CAN'T judge project completion in percentages. You never know exactly how much code it will take to get something to work, how much detail will have to go into each environment and texture and model, or how much bug testing will be needed until you get to that point, and a lot of the development time is spent planning things out.

Whenever I hear "such and such game is so much percent done" I just ignore it. Such statistics are meaningless.

15. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    Have you ever done project management before? There are ways to put a percentage on things based on the outlines that you have created for the project. Games have them based on what's been completed. AI, Graphics, Textures, modes, etc. etc. etc. It's not hard to rbeak something down into percentages.

16. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

***Shameless plug***
    In the next 2-3hrs a review of FFXII should be up on gametrailers.com. I never got into the FF series, but the new gambit system looks pretty interesting (assuming it doesn't suck) and I wouldn't be surprised if we saw other RPGs coping it down the road.

Lethal

17. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I find it is hard, unless you're not using them as a time line though. When I was working on Sam - I was stuck at 75% for months. that to me meant the game was finished and I was merely beta testing. It's impossible to say "Project begun on day 1, by day 2 we are 1% complete. game finished in 100 days", it really doesn't work like that. Maybe individual elements, say 100%ing the graphics or music but as a whole project I find it imbalanced and an inaccurate way to anyone barring the devs to be able to judge a release date from. It gets even more complex once you start working in large teams.

An accurate judge of Satan Sam 2's progress - 0.5% :p

18. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

do you work for gametrailers.com? If so, kudos to you, the site rocks.

19. knackroller macrumors regular

knackroller

Are any of the FF games available for Mac? I don't own a PS3 and have never played the FF games (except for FF3 or something on an emulator - but never got far as the graphics are very dated by now).

20. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Yes, I just started editing over there a couple of months ago. Glad you dig the site. :)

Lethal

21. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

Ouch! That video review was pretty rough on the game. It kind of took away my desire to play it actually :( It seems like they took out a lot of what made me love Final Fantasy in this release.

I don't really have the time to get into WoW as much as I would like, so Final Fantasy XII was going to be my downtime game... sad to hear it lost some of what I loved about the series.

22. xJulianx macrumors 6502a

xJulianx

IMO Final Fantasy has been dead ever since 7, that game was truly amazing and I don't think Square will ever match it yet alone beat it. Just my $00.02.

23. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

They need to re-release FFVI or even FFVII (my favorite and most played FF ever) for PS2 with some beefed up graphics. People love the classics and the storyline on both those games was excellent.

24. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    But then again you AREN'T a fully established company with hundreds of employees and dozens of departments and divisions. You are one person. You don't have the end users that FF does, and you don't make the millions that Square-Enix does.

When in a corporate environment, if you have not been in one, if there is a project it is broken down into many different phases, and each phase can represent a percentage of the project. Especially when different departments are working on the project, each one represents a piece of the entire project and their workload has to be accounted for for not only being critical to the end product, but to profit and payment as well.

So if S-E says that it's 3% done with it, it probably means that they have the conceptual art done, have started the base coding and have partially finished a cinema for the game to give people screenshots.

Of course, now they have AI design, Leveling design, character design, Battle System design, item design, environment design, etc to complete. Each one representing a percentage of that.

25. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

I think FFXII is one of those love it or hate it kind of games. Gamespot have it a solid 9, IGN gave it a 9.5, Famitsu gave it 40/40 but Gametrailers gave it a low 8 as you saw, a few other sites I read (can't remember them now) gave it low 8's and a 7.5 as well.

My advice is to at least rent it :D After playing it for about 4 hours last night I can see the gripes with the game (the camera movement is annoying as hell) but I am still enjoying it. It doesn't REALLY feel like Final Fantasy all that much but after FFX-2, maybe that is a good thing.