Horrible customer service: Who at Apple should I contact?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by bitninja, Oct 17, 2007.

1. macrumors regular

bitninja

I know this is a bit winded, but here is a copy of an email I sent to sjobs@apple.com (which I know isn't actually Steve, just a couple of his high-level execs):

So that's my issue. Is there anything else that can be done about this? I sent this email at about 9:30PM (EST) last night and haven't got a response back, most people say they respond withing 24hrs.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if my email was really long-winded,
    bitninja

2. macrumors demi-god

The email address you used is mentioned frequently on the forums here, especially with all of the iPhone controversy going on. "Email sjobs@apple.com and tell him you want 3rd party apps." "Email sjobs@apple.com and tell him you want an unlocked iPhone". "Email sjobs@apple.com and tell him you want a bigger educational discount on the 10.5 upgrade".

Honestly, with all of the crap being sent to that account, I'm surprised ANYONE gets a real response back.

But it does seem to occasionally happen.

Like you guessed, the account is probably staffed by a few Customer Relations folks. Give it some time.

But I'm not sure what you're expecting from them. A free repair because your iPod died outside of its warranty period doing a software update?

3. macrumors 6502

I successfully got an iPod replaced by sending an email to that address. They called me like a day after I sent it.

4. JNB
    macrumors 604

JNB

If the OP is near any of the Apple Stores in Ohio, I'd suggest taking it there. Granted, it's OOW, but applying a factory-recommended update shouldn't "brick" an otherwise unmodified iPod. It sounds like a firmware failure somewhere, and possibly would be a paid repair at this point, but nonetheless, basic customer relations should at the very least allow for a thorough and specific examination of the unit, courteously and at no charge.

If a physical component failed, that's another story, but once again, if I apply an Apple-supplied update or patch to my iWhatever, it shouldn't kill it.

Like aristobrat mentioned, though, just because you send an email to someone that receives thousands of emails a day didn't respond within 12 hours, doesn't mean you are being ignored. Consider more appropriate and realistic escalation techniques.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

bitninja

Wow surprisingly I got not an email, but a call from a guy at the Apple office of corporate executive relations. Basically since my iPod was about 10 months out of warranty he said all he could offer me at the moment was $60 off a new or refurb iPod online. He was going to check with his supervisors and/or boss and see if there was anything more he could do but beyond that there probably wasn't a whole lot. I was definitely surprised to get a call.