Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nudoru

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Near Charlotte NC
I was excited to download and try out Elder Scrolls Online, but when I finally got it installed, I'm having horrible performance issues. They're not related to graphics settings, but choppy/bad controls, bad mouse look, controls getting stuck, etc. I remember that I had these same issues with Borderlands 2 also. However, I have not problems under Win7 (Bootcamp) with these games. I'd really like to play them on the Mac side if I can however. Portal 2 doesn't have any issues running.

I wondering if I have something going on in the background in OS X that could cause this - but I'm not sure what it would be.

Any advice on what to check? I do have DropBox and BackBlaze in the background, but they're not actively backing anything up.

I have a top CPU/GPU spec'd 15" 2014 MacBook Pro. It should be plenty to handle these games.

Thanks for any advice!

nudoru

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Near Charlotte NC
Also have iStat Menu running..

Problem start immediately, not really after a ramp up time. But I'm not sure of the temps - have to check when I get home later.

Queen6

macrumors G4
Easy does it feel hot to the touch and are the fans running at full speed i.e. Good chance the game is not well optimised for OS X

If you want to check for thermal throttling, download Intel Power Gadget 3 and use the logging feature, you can open the .csv file in Excel etc.

Q-6

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
I was excited to download and try out Elder Scrolls Online, but when I finally got it installed, I'm having horrible performance issues. They're not related to graphics settings, but choppy/bad controls, bad mouse look, controls getting stuck, etc. I remember that I had these same issues with Borderlands 2 also. However, I have not problems under Win7 (Bootcamp) with these games. I'd really like to play them on the Mac side if I can however. Portal 2 doesn't have any issues running.

I wondering if I have something going on in the background in OS X that could cause this - but I'm not sure what it would be.

Any advice on what to check? I do have DropBox and BackBlaze in the background, but they're not actively backing anything up.

I have a top CPU/GPU spec'd 15" 2014 MacBook Pro. It should be plenty to handle these games.

Thanks for any advice!
Gaming and Macs, and gaming and OS X generally don't go hand in hand. Most games are very poorly ported and optimized and run like crap under OS X.

Use the game under Windows and you should get much better performance.

Reactions: Queen6

nudoru

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Near Charlotte NC
Yeah, i know windows is better, however there are enough people on the net running this successfully on macs with specs lower than mine.

Looks like the CPU temps are in the upper 90's. What's the point of concern?

inhalexhale1

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2011
PA

Thanks for any advice!

If you aren't having trouble playing these games, on the same machine, via bootcamp, it was probably the connection or something else. I have played ESO, on OSX, at 1440p on a '12 iMac (680m GTX) on medium to high settings. FPS was smooth 40-60's.

nudoru

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 27, 2012
Near Charlotte NC
I think it's Bluetooth. I have a blue tooth mouse that I typically use, but turning bluetooth off in in settings seems to fix it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.