Horse Burgers

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Feb 1, 2013.

1. macrumors 65816

citizenzen

I'm not worried about it. I've been vegetarian for over 20 years.

But what about you other blokes?

How's this playing in the U.K.?

And if you're going to eat meat, what's so wrong with a little horse meat anyway?

2. macrumors G5

jav6454

What the.... ew.

3. macrumors 65816

That's why we all need to take a good look at what we are putting in our mouths...

These days, people are willing to do whatever it takes to make money.... including unethical means like this.

4. thread starter macrumors 65816

citizenzen

5. macrumors 68040

Never had horse. But I had ostrich meat and frog legs. YUMMY!!!!

6. macrumors G5

jav6454

Still... ew.

Horses are for riding... not eating.

7. macrumors 601

Technarchy

I'd kill a horse and eat it without the slightest regret if I had to, but when I am ordering from BK I expect my hamburger to be beef.

I'm not fussy over trace amounts of horse, but I am concerned about the poor handling of food that resulted in the trace amounts

8. macrumors 603

mrkramer

I'm assuming you're vegetarian then. If not then what is the difference between eating a cow and eating a horse?

9. macrumors G5

jav6454

I'm not vegan/vegetarian. There is a difference. Metabolically speaking, a cow better digests what it eats (grass) than a horse making it marginally better for human consumption.

10. thread starter macrumors 65816

citizenzen

That's what I wonder as well.

While I understand cultural boundaries, what is the aversion to horse?

Why is it seen as so abhorrent?

11. macrumors G5

jav6454

Also, Latin American which means horse is well frowned upon.

12. iStudentUK, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013

macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

I've got no objection to eating horse meat per se. My issue with what happened is that I want what I buy to contain what the packet says it contains. If I want horse meat I'll buy it. And getting your ingredients wrong isn't a good precedent.

Although, it was mostly low end burgers that had horse meat in, I'm surprised they continued meat al all! Having said that I don't buy burgers anyway, it's much nicer to buy mince and make them yourself and doesn't take long.

13. macrumors 68020

niuniu

A man of the people. The right sort of people.
    I've been one of those dodgy part-time vege's in recent years. Was doing well until the last 4 or 5 months. Scandals like this help put me back on track.

So far they've found horse and and pig DNA in value supermarket burgers, pig DNA in halal prison supplied burgers, and horse DNA in BK burgers.

Not affected by any of that, but I bet there's far worse things in our food chain and we need more widespread testing to clean the industry up. Back to hummus and those vege balls things for me anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv5dW_lZyzc

14. macrumors 601

eawmp1

I am sure that in the course of human history on this planet horse was just another source of protein. However, I would hope that a beef burger would just be from a bovine source.

That having been said, the industrialization of the food chain has led to the ability of cross contamination and widespread distribution of disease. Whether "frankenfood" where contents are misrepresented or widespread E. coli/mad cow/listeria distribution, this seems to be the price of centralized food processing and lax regulation.

Prior to DNA testing, this still likely occurred, but not detected.

15. macrumors 604

Personally I don't care if there is horse in the beef products that I eat. Horses are grazing animals just like cows, so the meat won't that much different, really. The only reason people are hesitant to eat horse is because horses have a 'pet' status that cows, pigs, sheep, chickens etc generally don't.

16. macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

There's also the fact that horses – and dogs – also can be trained for tasks and the like. You can ride a horse to hunt, have it pull a cart or plough, and so on. That adds importance to them.

As I mentioned in the thread on this subject over in Current Events, part of the reason why there's been such a fuss isn't just a repulsion to horsemeat but also that this proves that the big supermarkets and food firms really don't have much of a clue what's going into the food that they sell, despite their bold claims about responsibility and traceable produce.

Personally, I've scoffed horse before and it was perfectly fine. But that said, I wouldn't want it in a product that was advertised as being 100% Aberdeen Angus or similar.

17. macrumors 604

True, however since this horsemeat is in cheap products, they wouldn't do it unless it was cheaper & more economical than using beef.

...Unless you're referring to emotional importance rather than economical importance...

Sure - Neither would I, but it isn't really anything to do with horse in particular.

18. macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You have very high expectations. If you want beef, BK isn't where one finds it. Their crap contains as much filler, fat, by products and antibiotics as beef.

19. macrumors 603

thekev

Hello. How may I horse you?

20. macrumors 601

Don't panic

morally and i see no difference in eating it than beef.
    horse meat tastes delicious, it is high in iron, low in fat and slightly sweeter than beef.

as long as what is served is properly labeled, i see no issues with it.
    selling one kind if meat for another is clearly wrong

21. macrumors G4

skunk

It's abhorrent because the French do it.

22. Don't panic, Feb 2, 2013
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2013

macrumors 601

Don't panic

never heard this one, link?

i suppose then that you religiously avoid beef from corn-fed animals (basically all us-based beef), since it's an unnatural food that cannot be digested by cows without dramatically altering their physiology and giving them all sorts of diseases (thus forcing them to be treated with high levels of antibiotics) and significantly increasing the chances that their meat is contaminate with coli that make it unsafe for human consumption?

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/292/5519/1119.long
    http://www.sciencemag.org/content/281/5383/1666.abstract

also this is an interesting story i read sometime ago. it took a while to fish it out, but thanks to the power of the interwebs, here it is:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2002/03/31/magazine/power-steer.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm
    and an interview with the author
    http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/meat/interviews/pollan.html

23. macrumors 68020

Mac'nCheese

I eat meat and don't really care what animal it comes from as long as its not really, really bad for me. (I know all meat is but I mean like the movie CONTAGION bad)

24. macrumors 6502a

Horse vs cow isn't an issue, assuming both are produced to the proper standards. A supplier misrepresenting, or being ignorant of, the contents of their product is a BIG problem.

That said - yum! to the below.
    [​IMG]

25. macrumors 603

Alligator burgers? **** yeah!

I don't see any problems with people eating horse or any other type of meat.

That said, I do see a problem with a company saying they are selling beef burgers but actually putting something else in it, whether it's a different type of meat, filler, pink slime, or whatever.